PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've completely purged my pipe collection of all vulcanite/ebonite stems because oxidization is not worth my time or anyone else's. That means I now only buy pipes with stems made of acrylic/lucite, and maybe horn.
With that said, has anyone had experience smoking and owning a pipe with a stem made of "juma"? I've seen it in listings from time to time and am wondering about the material's properties over time and after extended use. Most importantly, does juma oxidize? Any oxidization potential whatsoever is a dealbreaker for me. Because...
giphy.gif

Been the better half of a year since my last post; it's good to be back!

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9041
This came up

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Juma is a thermoset plastic like bakelite, epoxy, and polyester. Oxidation shouldn't be an issue.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Michael, I stumbled upon your username in one of the older posts yesterday and I was like "Where is that guy?". Good to see you again.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
A few thoughts:
Thanks for the advice! Nice to hear that it doesn't oxidize.
Apparently I've been saying the noun form of that word wrong this whole time. oxidation > oxidization
Warren, that made me laugh. Forgive me for assuming. :lol:
Jvnshr, thanks man! Good to be back!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nice to see you back. Are you leaving your pipes in direct sunlight or using alcohol on the stems?
I only have one pipe that has oxidation on it and it's an old Peterson that had spent too much time in the sun. Although recently I have started throwing a little Obsidian pipe stem oil on it as extra insurance.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have one pipe with a Juma stem, now I want more. It doesn't oxidize and is a bit more comfortable than acrylic.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Apparently I've been saying the noun form of that word wrong this whole time. oxidation > oxidization
Nope. You were correct.
ox·i·da·tion

ˌäksəˈdāSH(ə)n/Submit

nounCHEMISTRY

the process or result of oxidizing or being oxidized.
Juma doesn't oxidize like vulcanite.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
because oxidization is not worth my time or anyone else's
I actually enjoy the upkeep, as well as the restoration of oxidized stems. Sort of like cleaning a gun. Just something satisfying about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.