PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd get the pipe working. Have no fear about running some water through it. Pipes are often immersed during carving and they do just fine. Just don't soak it. Then, yes, by all means get another pipe to go with it, which you will do anyway, by the way.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you are a pipe smoker, the question is never need but instead the desire for another pipe. Of course you want another pipe; thus why bother with the question?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
For me, every smoke could be different, although the same pipe and the same tobacco.

I use Irish whiskey like Jameson or Bushmills to clean my pipe. It works! Don't use 'strong flavoured' whiskey like sherry casks.

You mentioned Germeny, I suspect that you smoke with a filter? Some charcoal filters take away the flavour.

Try not to smoke none-aromatic in a pipe you filled aromatic before, or avoid to use English pipe to smoke virginia/burley. It would be awful. Now, I am smoking virginia flake using a pipe used to smoke nightcap (I did it alot though :ROFLMAO:), I can taste a small hint of the nightcap somehow.

Some tobacco is very sensitive to humidity and temperature. I live in England and the temperature and the humidity could change alot in a day. Like, yesterday was warm and dry, but today is a raining day. When you are smoking, Your tobacco could absorb the moisture in the air. I smoke peteron's flake straight out of the tin, and today's taste is different from it was yesterday. You definitely need more drying time.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I back up what the other smokers say.Try a non aromatic. Air it out until dry to the touch,but not crunchy.Own more than one pipe(a week's rest per pipe will help
.A 14 day set would be optimal,and make a BIG difference. Don't quit.When I was a new smoker,I used to get some TERRIBLE tongue bite from time to time.If you can get to where you like the stronger non aromatics,this will help,as they don't bite unless forced,and reward you with a whole new flavor experience.Give your mouth a break for a few days if you're burned out.Don't even think about smoking for a few days.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
"Need"? ..... hmm, interesting question, 'Do I "need" a new pipe?'.
Once I acquired a full rotation of pipes, "need" was never a consideration. :LOL:
It's good practice to rest a briar so 7 pipes is sufficient for one who smokes daily.

Except for undamaged metal pipes that are very easy to 'restore' [All a metal pipe needs is a good clean] I learnt the hard way to only buy lightly used estate [used] pipes that had been professionally cleaned.

Most of my estate buys came from two German ebay sellers that sell estates and new pipes. [I'll dig up their names if you're interested. One also has a website where you can pick up NOS pipes at reasonable cost www.markenpipes.com ]

Missouri Meerschaum cobs are rather good smokers. I've got three MM cobs that are in my regular rotation.
A new cob gives off a vegetal taste for the first 2-3 bowls but once 'broken in' they are fine.

We are all different. Some smokers, like myself, are susceptible to tongue bite.
One of my favourite blends for example, MacBaren Plumcake, bites me hard in a briar or cob but I found that it doesn't bite when I use a charcoal filter or when smoked in an old meerschaum lined Heibe.

You might like to try MacBaren Virginia #1. A slightly sweet mild Virginia that is rather tasty and does not bite.

Learning to get the best from a pipe takes time. With a little patience and perseverance the experience gets better and better.

Like most I struggled with correct packing at first but now I pack a bowl without conscious effort.

Don't be shy to ask questions. When I first found pipe forums I must have asked some really dumb questions yet they were answered respectfully and patiently.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The answer is yes! yes! yes! You always need a new pipe. Don't worry about how many you already have or if the purchase is financially prudent, Just buy it!

Same for tobacco. Some guys question whether they should lay in another 5 lbs. No, the better question is will 20 lbs. be enough given an uncertain regulatory picture, So get that 20 lbs. Don't trouble yourself. Buy it, now!

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
The answer is yes! yes! yes! You always need a new pipe. Don't worry about how many you already have or if the purchase is financially prudent, Just buy it!

Same for tobacco. Some guys question whether they should lay in another 5 lbs. No, the better question is will 20 lbs. be enough given an uncertain regulatory picture, So get that 20 lbs. Don't trouble yourself. Buy it, now!
I cannot not read this as sincerity.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
if you're like some members of this forum it seems more like Herion but more expensive and likely to ruin relationships.
In your signature you asked for help to say something catchy in your signature. This is circular. Those who would help know not how to breach this construction. Ropes? Hooks? In any event we are not that brave. We just want to shoot the breeze and smoke our pipes and have esosteric and lofty arguments about shaping such as Sykes no doubt had when he visited Lars Ivarrson in his home in Sweden? or was it Finland,? Norway,? ahh yes, Denmark.

Next I will declaim about the outright larceny of the elites in the Danish hegemony, and we don't want that.

So, back to you, sir, may your circle soon be broken so that it might admit the sagacious with the requested advice.

Reactions: anotherbob