PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
LOL, well, I'm not just a hay farmer, I also spent the better part of 25 years working in the experimental crops division of Southern States...that was my primary job until I retired. Filtering toxins was central to my analyses of products such as fertilizers and pesticides. I'm not a total idiot in that area.
Oh I believe you. I am just sticking with my non expert opinion and going with what was said by someone whos whole career is about smoking and tobacco. Side note every year he got offers from the big tobacco companies to do whatever studies he wanted about whatever as long as they owned the research. Which sure is a slimy way to buy someone's silence. Oh and with no requirements to do a damn thing. By the way I am talking second yacht money.

Actually, yes.

I... I... can't watch this. What f'ing moron aims the lighter down inside the pipe chamber? And, the nerve to have someone so pipe illiterate and ignorant calling calling what he does... science. Phhhht.

I would hope... think... pray... that someone who understands science knows that there is absolutely no reason to ever touch the flame to the pipe or tobacco.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I... I... can't watch this. What f'ing moron aims the lighter down inside the pipe chamber? And, the nerve to have someone so pipe illiterate and ignorant calling calling what he does... science. Phhhht.

I would hope... think... pray... that someone who understands science knows that there is absolutely no reason to ever touch the flame to the pipe or tobacco.
No comment, I still bang my pipes out on the bottom of my shoe :ROFLMAO:

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia

Yeah. He is scorching that tobacco.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Actually, all this video shows is that one filter is (possibly) cooler than the other, but it doesn't compare it to no filter at all (unless he does a video about that as well).
I found this really interesting. Yea he would need a control, he's thinking the first temp is the control, but a unfiltered would be the real control.

Looks like he does a few no filters, same pipe, same blend, but strangely found both temperatures to be hotter with the difference being greater as well. He also tested churchwardens.

He concluded that the filters definitely made the smoke cooler, but he would need to control for airflow volume before he could say it was specifically due to the filter and not the restricted airflow the filter causes.

Reactions: stokesdale

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I do too. Smack it on the trash can, use it as a hammer... But, I would never direct a lighter right down into the bowl.
Why is it then that every pipe lighter I have ever owned is designed so that the flame can be held vertically over the pipe and drawn into the bowl
1612802252753.png
1612802389218.png
1612802467588.png

Why is it then that every pipe lighter I have ever owned is designed so that the flame can be held vertically over the pipe and drawn into the bowl
Because, people that buy them have more money than common sense, so they can afford to burn out their chambers. puffy

There is no law saying that you cannot shoot the flame down into the chamber. It's just not the best practice. I have an IM Corona that does that, but I would never actually use it to light my pipes. I use a Zippo or Bic, and just hold the flame half an inch above the bowl. The flame doesn't have to touch the tobacco at all, and this gives me the best smokes, YMMV.

Reactions: UncleRasta