Do Cigar, Pipe, and Cigarette Tobacco Taste Different?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Actually, the "tobacco" in most cigarettes isn't tobacco at all. It is a paper, made from tobacco and "other ingredients" that is blenderized into a slurry, rolled and pressed into sheets, dried and then shredded. That may have some influence on the flavor profile.

Cigars are made from different tobacco strains than the usual pipe varieties, and the tobacco is fermented.
That’s reconstituted sheet tobacco, as for the percentage it’s used in cigarettes, that’s kind of an unknown, as tobacco companies don’t publish that data. Many machine made cigars use reconstituted sheet tobacco for the wrapper leaf.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It is interesting to me that you can taste each method as different (intact cigar vs. chopped cigar). To me, I do not taste any difference. I have done this a few limited times and to ME, I could not discern a difference.

Out of curiosity, MIGHT it be in your case, that the differences you noticed….. could they have been a “ghosting” effect of whatever pipe tobacco(s) you had smoked previously in the pipe?

I do know that for ME, I do not smoke cigar butts nor chopped cigars in any of my pipes any longer….. because I do not like the “cigar ghost” that remained in my pipes when I did do this a few times.
I dedicate my pipes to genres and each rests several months in-between smokes so ghosting is minimal.

I put the difference down to the way the tobacco is rolled in a cigar (tight) and how it is packed in a pipe (more air and oxygen between the tobacco strands)

Also with a cigar you are drawing through a few inches of cigar leaf vs a pipe bowl that might only be an inch and a half deep.

And as mentioned earlier, with a cigar your lips are in contact with the wrapper leaf and tasting that constantly.

Just my random thoughts.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee this may help answer most of your questions.

Thank you.

From the site:

Pretty basic, cigar leaf is just that — leaf that would normally be used as the filler in cigar production. Cut properly, it can be used in cooperation with sweeter Virginias or smoky dark-fired and Burleys to give a little extra body and strength to a blend. If you're a cigar smoker, try adding a little loose cigar leaf to your own mixtures to give it a bit more "oomph".

—-

Cigars have special plants.

Reactions: solideogloria86

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Well, I’m learning a lot about the tobaccos, etc. - cool. I gave up any cigarette usage when I got married and have never looked back, never acquired a taste for cigars. Relatively new to pipes but I enjoy tobacco as it is presented with them very much, but still in relative moderation. This place had been quite the resource and a fun place to lounge! Tonight’s fun fact, no see ums are quite visible at dusk on my phone screen as is the dragonfly extravaganza I’m seeing in the sky!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Commercial American candy bars, chewing gum, and cigarettes are unquestionably the best tasting and most consistently good vices on this earth
My, Oh My. That is patriotism :rolleyes:

Whoa wait, you can't be serious! Have you ever had European chocolate/candy bars? I'll take those any day of the week over the American made stuff
^^^^ This
Belgium, Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy all produce superlative chocolate.

The Iron Chancellor, Otto von Bismarck when refusing a glass of (German) sekt Said "My patriotism stops with my palate".
ie I will not give up drinking Champagne
nnnn

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My, Oh My. That is patriotism :rolleyes:

^^^^ This

The Iron Chancellor, Otto von Bismarck when refusing a glass of (German) sekt Said "My patriotism stops with my palate".
ie I will not give up drinking Champagne
nnnn
One of my pet peeves and constant laments is that young boys in poverty stricken Humansville must drink almost nothing but dollar bottles of Fireball whiskey, to judge by all the empties that litter the streets.

Not to be a prig I tried a Fireball with some young people visiting at my farm and it was truly delicious.

The only booze and smoke shop left in Humansville sells 20 Fireballs in a bucket and gives free ice from the soda pop dispenser, and a little change back from a 20 dollar bill.

91BEA1E5-18ED-4C5A-B54C-DC9CA15D9ACF.jpeg

They also sell cartons of 24/7 cigarettes for the same price.

Just as good as any other American commercial cigarette and that means excellent.

4425BCF9-CDE6-45AE-BD96-00B49DA23394.jpeg
In America, we’ve mastered mass sinning on a truly industrial scale.

If it rots your teeth, makes you fat, pickles your brain or ruins your lungs we make the best everybody can afford.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm Canadian, so nearly every chocolate offering (outside more specialty places) is American style. In other words, this is what I grew up with, but when I first tasted the European options... Mercy! Superior products.

Briar Lee has a point though: America likes to make things that will kill people faster

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have you ever had European chocolate/candy bars

My, Oh My. That is patriotism
I can't believe I'm going to have to agree with Briar Lee. Like tobacco, taste is purely subjective and I've yet to find a European candy/chocolate palatable. Though I prefer candy from a local establishment, Ruth Hunt Candies, North Anerican brands are my favorites.