Do Casings/Toppings Burn Faster than the Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 24, 2020
San Diego
In my search for a room note my wife would love, I bought a "Chocolate Mousse" from my local tobacconist at his recommendation. He said the the smell was amazing, and it tasted much like it smelled. He was right, my wife enjoyed it, and it had a strong Mocha creme flavor (kind of too much.) At least it did for about half the bowl. At some point, all the good aromatics were gone and the smell and taste were along the lines of industrial/astringent. I was smoking in an unused clay pipe with a small bowl (i bought them to be used for tasting purposes.)

So, my question is: Do casings and/or toppings burn faster and possibly expose inferior tobacco, or are there probably extenuating circumstances?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
A lot of tabac can change mid way through a bowl for many reasons, type of material smoked through, smoking cadence, tabac moisture, etc...

Casings & Toppings aren’t just the only issue here.

If you haven’t read these, check them out for information on Casings, Toppings Argos...

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It's a common problem with aros. You can try smoking it slower; that might help. Other than that seek out a better aro that holds its flavor.

Reactions: PipeIT

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Even better yet, teach your wife to appreciate the aroma of a quality blend that isn't a gooper. Try this. Tell her you have learned to tolerate her farts and occasional bad breath. The least she can do is deal with the incredible aroma from your pipe. Let us know how that works out.
We haven't heard from him in a couple days, Im thinking he messed up and took your advice. Maybe someone should send for help.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
In my search for a room note my wife would love, I bought a "Chocolate Mousse" from my local tobacconist at his recommendation. He said the the smell was amazing, and it tasted much like it smelled. He was right, my wife enjoyed it, and it had a strong Mocha creme flavor (kind of too much.) At least it did for about half the bowl. At some point, all the good aromatics were gone and the smell and taste were along the lines of industrial/astringent. I was smoking in an unused clay pipe with a small bowl (i bought them to be used for tasting purposes.)

So, my question is: Do casings and/or toppings burn faster and possibly expose inferior tobacco, or are there probably extenuating circumstances?
Yes and no.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 24, 2020
San Diego
Hahaha, I'm still alive. I did tell my wife that I had been advised to:

"Tell her you have learned to tolerate her farts and occasional bad breath. The least she can do is deal with the incredible aroma from your pipe."

She laughed at me. Then gave a death stare.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I value so much the information, ideas, and opinions of other Forum members, and I often relate them to my wife -- about Catahula dogs and faraway places. But I have never referenced members on domestic tranquility, something that is best left to each couple in their own ways.

Reactions: Another Charlie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hahaha, I'm still alive. I did tell my wife that I had been advised to:

"Tell her you have learned to tolerate her farts and occasional bad breath. The least she can do is deal with the incredible aroma from your pipe."

She laughed at me. Then gave a death stare.
it was very gracious of her to release you from the basement and even let you comeback here at least while she can monitor you.

• Haha
Reactions: Another Charlie

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Smoke em until you don't enjoy em. Then dump em. It's just tobacco.

So says the Chap to the other Chap, that bought a $200 Vintage Tin. LOL... :)

Before you throw out any of your Vintage Blends, you can mail them my way, remember it’s just tobacco... LOL rotf

Reactions: anotherbob