Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
To the 7" stem club, do you find these pipes to smoke wetter than an average pipe? The reason I ask is I've stumbled across something I never thought I would find. Im not a collector and the notion of having a "shelf queen" doesn't jive.
So, in researching these pipes I've found a few comments from way back that mention the extra length allows greater opportunity for moisture to condense out of the smoke. This wouldn't be a huge issue except that I don't believe a normal pipe cleaner will reach to the bowl. I suppose I could buy a roll and custom cut to length. But...I'm not a companion to wet smokers.
What are your experiences?

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Never had a bing, so I am probably exactly the kind of chump you don't need chiming in, but I have had some experience with pipes of similar stem-length. In general, I would answer: no.
There is probably some logic to the fact that the longer stem allows more time/area for condensation, but I'm pretty sure the amount would be so minimal as to be imperceivable. My belief is that condensation more commonly accumulates where the air flow encounters turbulence. So it's quite possible that a specific maker of bing shapes might have wet smoking pipes. But I don't see that the shape itself would be more conducive to poor airflow.
As for the pipe cleaners, I'm pretty sure they make churchwarden length cleaners, so those should do the trick. Less trouble than cutting your own, I'd think.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got 2 Bing style pipes (Sav Bing & Boswell's Bing) and neither smoke wet. Is the drilling correct? Do you clench most of the time? What type of blend are you smoking in your Bings?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No wet smokes from this guy yet.
004-009-7492.jpg

I have a few 7" long and lanky dublin stacked clenchers that I smoke every day. They are my least likely to ever smoke wet. But, I could see how a 7" long stem might condense the water out of the smoke, but not on length alone. If it had a bend or a place for a filter, or the mortise and tenon don't meet correctly, this would definitely be a gurgle-maker.

I do have a Savinelli Clark that is in that length group, and it gurgles at times, but it has a place for a balsa insert.
I guess the best answer would be that it could be a gurgler, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to be a gurgler. Any pipe fits this potential, IMO.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have 5 Sav Bing's Favorites... 5 or 6 Bings from Scottie Piersel and 2 random from other makers. None of mine smoke wet unless I'm clenching and drooling down the stem. YMMV

I hear guys occasionally say that they think they drool down the stem. Is this really a thing? Or, do they salivate and also get condensation in their pipe, and make a connection between the two that isn't there? Because it would take me some effort to get drool to rise up in mouth and then spill over into the teeny tiny draft hole. Plus, when I clench, I never seal my lips, because the smoke has to drift out of my mouth. Drool would be more likely to run down my chin than the draft hole.
Just curious.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
If I'm working something with my face down, I may actually drool down the stem... but otherwise... you're probably right. Not a regular thing.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have a Basil Meadows Bing and it smokes dry. Never had any problems, and always have a good smoke out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.