PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I bought a minuscule portion of geranium rose oil at an essential oils shop (beware not all of these places know what they’re doing and you want to be damn certain what you’re buying is for ingestion!).

I also bought an atomizer and used a couple of micro drops of oil in about an ounce of high quality scotch whisky and lightly spritzed some straight VA tobacco that was laid out on a baking sheet. Waited awhile and repeated. Result was a pleasant floral /Lakeland essence that I quite enjoyed. Later attempts included some burley mixed in and even a dash of oriental leaf.

It isn’t as wonderful as the real thing but it doesn’t suck and I was pleasantly surprised, enough that I’ve repeated the experiment.

I will try to find my post and link to it. Starting with high quality tobacco is a must!

link here: Rose Geranium Oil? :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/rose-geranium-oil.77499/

Last edited:

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
A summary of my experiments :

Vitiver is disgusting.
Rosemary oil is disgusting.
Rose/Geranium oil at 2.5% weight in a blend smells crazy strong but tastes balanced at first but you get tired of it.
@4% weight in a blend is gross and way too much.
Real (9% concentration) rose oil (non geranium) at 0.75% in a blend has a nice tin aroma and is subtle and hardly 'noticeable' in the smoke.
A similar amount of neroli is less recognizable as a flavour you would identify, and blends well with vanilla. Promising blender.

Deerstongue leaf is good at amounts between 1 and 3%.

Mix the oils in a carrier like alcohol for even distribution.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Yes essential oils are the way to go. Making your own essences would be too time consuming/laborious and the cost of raw plant you would need would be too high vs already made oils. Just mix the oils in alcohol and spray. And start with very very small amounts. Like 1-3 drops(depending on the oil) per 50g of tobacco.

Bergamot is very nice, sort of perfume citrus(but not like lemon) I swear they use some of this in Condor.

Wintergreen. Very nice. Fresh and lively, but not overly minty. Seems like this is also used in Condor possibly.

Lavender can also be used in very small amounts as well.

Lemongrass, a more earthy and lemony flavour. I'm not a huge fan, but in a mix as a minor percentage it's ok.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Bottle of washing up liquid, few laundry pods and a couple of moth balls and you are good to go. I find the most authentic taste is to stuff your jeans pockets with your favorite blend. Add a selection of the above flavor options and the wash the whole lot on a medium hot rinse cycle and air dry. Once dried out on the line you just have to jar the resulting tobacco and enjoy!

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I have tinkered around with flavoring tobacco. Grew some Virginia Gold last year and flavored it with a mix of Apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, bourbon, and Rose Syrup. It came out pretty good but haven't smoked mich of it yet.

Also took some KBV Live Wire and added some essential Oils to a piece of napkin to flavor: sweet 0range, tangerine, patchouli, and pine. This made a VERY close Lakeland flavor that was super unique and plan on trying this on other tobaccos but so far have smoked many bowls of it and think it came out amazing for a DIY Lakeland. Would like to get some GERANIUM oil and other floral EO's to experiment with in the future.

Give it a shot and tinker around to see what unique combinations you can come up with. You might be surprised with the results.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Bottle of washing up liquid, few laundry pods and a couple of moth balls and you are good to go. I find the most authentic taste is to stuff your jeans pockets with your favorite blend. Add a selection of the above flavor options and the wash the whole lot on a medium hot rinse cycle and air dry. Once dried out on the line you just have to jar the resulting tobacco and enjoy!
Are you happy to see me, or is that your war horse bar in your pocket?...thanks for the bootleg recipe, the new owners will be pissed.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually the recipe for War Horse Bar is actually on here. You just have to look for it since it was posted sometime in 2014 after we had an Israeli lab pretty much gene sequence an original War Horse Bar from the 1920s to find out why it tasted like you had been hit over the head with a lump hammer. Woodsroad may still have a copy of the original report but from memory it included gum arabica, Port or Madeira, Black Treacle, some weird root and Velarian extract and a few other things. The closer you get in time to the last Gallaghers War Horse circa mid 1980s it starts to taste like Condor Plug so I guess they were engaged in badge engineering!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@condorlover1 Well they were both made by Gallaher Tobacco.
After closure and relocation to Poland (probably EU funded after joining and the UK's upcoming withdrawal from the EU) the Gallaher factory was bought by Wrightbus to expand their production following their major fleet orders for London buses.
I can't comment on Condor as I've only had my clay pipes since the move to Poland!

Reactions: ofafeather

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Actually the recipe for War Horse Bar is actually on here. You just have to look for it since it was posted sometime in 2014 after we had an Israeli lab pretty much gene sequence an original War Horse Bar from the 1920s to find out why it tasted like you had been hit over the head with a lump hammer. Woodsroad may still have a copy of the original report but from memory it included gum arabica, Port or Madeira, Black Treacle, some weird root and Velarian extract and a few other things. The closer you get in time to the last Gallaghers War Horse circa mid 1980s it starts to taste like Condor Plug so I guess they were engaged in badge engineering!
There was also some wintergreen I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.