PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
I have an old (1938) estate Kaywoodie “Suntan” bent, stacked billiard “drinkless” pipe (Group 3 appx.) that I’ve been waiting to try.

I wanted to put something old school in it to smoke. I ordered a tin of DG and Edward G Robinson. I couldn’t resist opening the DG first.

The issue I’m having is, I’m not getting the rich flavour experience people mention when I smoke it. I do get some “perfume-like” notes along with old cloth bound books and pepper/leather. It feels “airy” as opposed to full and rich.

Has anyone had a better experience than I have? I’ve had 4 bowls of it so far. I’m just not feeling it. My only thought is I’m smoking it in the “wrong pipe.” Would a wider pot shape be better?

I‘m not blaming the pipe, btw ;)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have an old (1938) estate Kaywoodie “Suntan” bent, stacked billiard “drinkless” pipe (Group 3 appx.) that I’ve been waiting to try.

I wanted to put something old school in it to smoke. I ordered a tin of DG and Edward G Robinson. I couldn’t resist opening the DG first.

The issue I’m having is, I’m not getting the rich flavour experience people mention when I smoke it. I do get some “perfume-like” notes along with old cloth bound books and pepper/leather. It feels “airy” as opposed to full and rich.

Has anyone had a better experience than I have? I’ve had 4 bowls of it so far. I’m just not feeling it. My only thought is I’m smoking it in the “wrong pipe.” Would a wider pot shape be better?

I‘m not blaming the pipe, btw ;)
How much are you drying it?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It could be that you just don't like the blend. I read some reviews where folks are getting all sorts of smells and tastes that I can't discern. Some palates are just further along than others.
but I ask about moisture because I know it comes fairly wet in the can... so if he's smoking it that way it probably is similar to a burning tire fire.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It is entirely possible that you just don't care for the blend. I've seen so many differing impressions on certain blends that I wonder how much body chemistry / genetics comes in to play, much like how cilantro (which I absolutely love!) tastes like soap to a certain portion of the population.

but I ask about moisture because I know it comes fairly wet in the can... so if he's smoking it that way it probably is similar to a burning tire fire.

+1 on moisture issues. Drying (or not drying) any given tobacco blend can make a huge difference in the experience. Over time, you'll figure out which blends you like at which moisture levels. Experimenting is your friend. There are different ways to dry tobacco, and my favorite is to use a mild heat source like an electric candle warmer to dry a bowl's worth of baccy in a relatively short period of time, though you must be careful not to overdo it.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
It could be that you just don't like the blend. I read some reviews where folks are getting all sorts of smells and tastes that I can't discern. Some palates are just further along than others.
You’re right. Maybe it’s just not for me. Jarred the tin and perhaps I’ll revisit it later on.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
It is entirely possible that you just don't care for the blend. I've seen so many differing impressions on certain blends that I wonder how much body chemistry / genetics comes in to play, much like how cilantro (which I absolutely love!) tastes like soap to a certain portion of the population.

+1 on moisture issues. Drying (or not drying) any given tobacco blend can make a huge difference in the experience. Over time, you'll figure out which blends you like at which moisture levels. Experimenting is your friend. There are different ways to dry tobacco, and my favorite is to use a mild heat source like an electric candle warmer to dry a bowl's worth of baccy in a relatively short period of time, though you must be careful not to overdo it.
Looks like perhaps I was trying to “match” a blend with a specific pipe and may be not a “match” after all. Just lacks richness for me. Great point about Cilantro.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Moisture is a highly personal taste. I like my tobacco moist and flexible so it cuts up easier and provides the right amount of water/tar to color the meerschaum. I don't get the steam effect since I used Philt Pads or a meerschaum plug but I would imagine moisture could play hell with a briar pipe especially if you are what is known as a 'wet' smoker.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Does that cause a “hot air” feel as opposed to a fuller smoke? I thought I had figured out the drying thing but, perhaps not?
yes absolutely. often it seems like the ember can burn and produce not much smoke, and it will seem hot and flavorless. This is because you are smoking steam.

in my opinion you need to dry the tobacco before going in the pipe. it should bare minimum be dry enough that when you pinch a bunch together it doesn't stick in a ball.

I go way dryer than that though personally.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
yes absolutely. often it seems like the ember can burn and produce not much smoke, and it will seem hot and flavorless. This is because you are smoking steam.

in my opinion you need to dry the tobacco before going in the pipe. it should bare minimum be dry enough that when you pinch a bunch together it doesn't stick in a ball.

I go way dryer than that though personally.
That’s great to hear. Didn’t want to give up on it. I’ll put some on a paper plate and let it sit overnight and see what happens. Thanks!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That’s great to hear. Didn’t want to give up on it. I’ll put some on a paper plate and let it sit overnight and see what happens. Thanks!

Depending on where you live, and the humidity levels in your house, your tobacco might not get dry enough just by sitting out. For example, at my house, my tobacco will get plenty dry sitting out in the winter time when ambient humidity is extremely low, but it doesn't dry out as much in the summer no matter how long it sits out.

My solution is to use a little electric hot plate / candle warmer to heat the moisture out of the tobacco. It only takes a few minutes. There are other methods people use, including microwaving, though I am not a fan of microwaving my baccy.

I also agree with @BROBS about drying out (most blends) basically to the point where they are almost crispy, and to the point where the tobacco no longer feels at all cool to the touch. IMO, for most blends, that's when they are ready to smoke. If you dry out your tobacco sufficiently, you'll no longer have to deal with rapid puffing trying to keep it lit, tongue burn, and the like. It's just an overall better smoking experience.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would never smoke a pipe with a stinger, a filter or a drinkless system or a Peterson collect sludge filter.
If a pipe is drilled properly say to 4.0-4.5 shank dimension and the drilling goes to the bottom of the bowl and the pipe will take a fluffy BJ Long filter to the bottom with ease, you should have no problems smoking the pipe. Only thing hat could wreck that is green briar not meant to be smoked. Doesn't matter how cheap the pipe is, if it is made right it should be a fine smoker.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
I would never smoke a pipe with a stinger, a filter or a drinkless system or a Peterson collect sludge filter.
If a pipe is drilled properly say to 4.0-4.5 shank dimension and the drilling goes to the bottom of the bowl and the pipe will take a fluffy BJ Long filter to the bottom with ease, you should have no problems smoking the pipe. Only thing hat could wreck that is green briar not meant to be smoked. Doesn't matter how cheap the pipe is, if it is made right it should be a fine smoker.
I have to admit, I'm not sure what the drinkless stinger is supposed to do other than the pipe screws together. Seems like many pipes of that era had them. I bought it because I wanted an old-tyme American pipe. :sher:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Well you bought it, and now you have a shitty American pipe where there are tons out there.

Do yourself a favor, grab a filter less Savinelli, a lower end Winslow, Radice or a Castello for factory pipes. For artisan made, Ryan Alden( don't settle for one of his with a not great blast. A Scottie Piersel but not a pencil neck. A Scott Thile, not sure where your price threshold is, let me know and I can suggest more options.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Well you bought it, and now you have a shitty American pipe where there are tons out there.

Do yourself a favor, grab a filter less Savinelli, a lower end Winslow, Radice or a Castello for factory pipes. For artisan made, Ryan Alden( don't settle for one of his with a not great blast. A Scottie Piersel but not a pencil neck. A Scott Thile, not sure where your price threshold is, let me know and I can suggest more options.
I do have my first Savi (Matches860 tribute) coming hopefully sooner than later. Looking forward to having one as people really seem to like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.