PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I have two and would be happy to give you one for the price of shipping.

Despite it's rugged design: it's not wind proof at all, the flame is neither consistent nor reliable more a gimmick than anything, and it's kinda delicate.

Really - I’ve read reviews online that say they aren’t worth a squirt of piss, but I like it so far.

How do you think it’d do for dedicated indoor use? I’ve only had mine for a day, but the 8 bowls I’ve used it for, it has performed flawlessly, so far. I plan to use it almost exclusively indoors.

I’ll take you up on that cost of shipping offer if you really don’t want it anymore. I’m just a fan of the ruggedness. Concrete floor in the garage plus a Labrador constantly bumping into things trying to scratch herself results in things falling quite frequently...

Jun 23, 2019
Yeah I got 'em for Christmas and used them for a few weeks.

The "shooting" aspect of the flame is not really practically complimentary with lighting a pipe in windy conditions. If you start it away from the bowl it's hard to move it without it going out. If you start it near the bowl, the "puff" of flame blows the tobacco everywhere.

Dropped one on pavement from chest height and now it lights 5 out of 7 clicks. Sometimes it takes 2-3 clicks to get it going.

Reactions: BROBS

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Yeah I got 'em for Christmas and used them for a few weeks.

The "shooting" aspect of the flame is not really practically complimentary with lighting a pipe in windy conditions. If you start it away from the bowl it's hard to move it without it going out. If you start it near the bowl, the "puff" of flame blows the tobacco everywhere.

Dropped one on pavement from chest height and now it lights 5 out of 7 clicks. Sometimes it takes 2-3 clicks to get it going.

Dang. I had much higher hopes for this thing. Hopefully mine doesn’t end up like that.

I did notice the little poof of gas being problematic last night when I relit a pipe and it blew ash out of the bowl. Pretty easy fix (inside) by lighting it off to the side and bringing it to the tobacco.

Jun 23, 2019
Dang. I had much higher hopes for this thing. Hopefully mine doesn’t end up like that.

I did notice the little poof of gas being problematic last night when I relit a pipe and it blew ash out of the bowl. Pretty easy fix (inside) by lighting it off to the side and bringing it to the tobacco.

Yeah exactly that, kinda a hassle outside. Honestly, the $10 or so Zippo pipe insert is a such better spend for both into and outdoor .

The Dissim's flame angle also risky on your rims, just be careful when you're using it.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Yeah exactly that, kinda a hassle outside. Honestly, the $10 or so Zippo pipe insert is a such better spend for both into and outdoor .

The Dissim's flame angle also risky on your rims, just be careful when you're using it.

Totally. I love my Zippos. I did kinda like the idea of not changing wicks, flints, and refueling them every other day. Oh well, I’ll run this thing until it breaks.

I’ve got a couple more lighters showing up tomorrow that I’m going to try out, too.

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Gotta say, FWIW, I love mine. Works like a champ, although I use it indoors only. First click every time. In fact, although not as pretty as my Old Boy style lighters, much easier to maintain. I'd say go for it.

Reactions: chopper and BROBS

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Don't have one, but it looks clumsy to me. Gimmicky.

Oh - so no experience with them. Got it. Was trying to get some opinions from folks who have used them.

I didn’t get clumsy or gimmicky when I looked at it. Feels really well-made and like it could withstand being shot. But, it seems like a few others have had nothing but problems. Still enjoying mine, however. Hopefully it’ll keep working how this.

Reactions: chopper and BROBS