PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
From your experience, what exactly is Dusty Hobo Taint and how did it taste compared to Mixture 69?
It’s a complex aroma that fills many homeless services buildings in Anchorage. Weeks of ball sweat, sharts, and dead skin cells form a gritty gray paste that wafts up and mixes with the ever present soupçon of cigarette butts and processed alcohol.

Occasionally if you’re there at the right time you can also enjoy the smell of someone trying to cure their gangrenous trench foot by drying it under a floor fan that circulates the building’s air. Only smell thats ever made me puke.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
CD Gentleman Caller or any blend with deertongue.
I thought the tin note was "ok". Definitely get the vanilla-like scent, and I liked the look of it in the tin - reminiscent of catnip.

Smoking it was a different story. Instead of faint sweetness it became bitter and green tasting. It ghosted a Gamboni commissioned pipe so bad I had to sell it. Vile weed!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It’s a complex aroma that fills many homeless services buildings in Anchorage. Weeks of ball sweat, sharts, and dead skin cells form a gritty gray paste that wafts up and mixes with the ever present soupçon of cigarette butts and processed alcohol.

Occasionally if you’re there at the right time you can also enjoy the smell of someone trying to cure their gangrenous trench foot by drying it under a floor fan that circulates the building’s air. Only smell thats ever made me puke.
You should be writing copy for CI!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I didn't love it when I tried it a while back.
Last week though I had a bowl from a 2000 tin and it was REALLY good. So.. you know.. if you can catch a tin from 2000-2003 it may be worth a second chance.
My tin was 10 years old when I tried it. Even paid the storage fee. Lol

My guess is it was stored improperly. That’s all I can think of.

Oddly enough I really liked it before that traumatic experience

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
The ultimate in disgusting flavors is by far Samuel Gawith Fire Dance Flake. You know that taste you get in your mouth when you puke and then choke it back down, that is Fire Dance. I have smoke my share of losers over the years but only one thing comes close and that is GH Ennerdale flake.
When I first found that one could order tobacco here to Nanny State Australia and not be shot as a consequence if caught, it opened up a world of blends that I'd not ever seen.
I was particularly keen to try a Samuel Gawith blend as it appeared to be a much sought after tobacco.
So when I won a fleabay auction for two SG blends I was thrilled to bits.

The tin of Fire Dance Flake looked so inviting. I'm not very good at describing tastes but I'll have a go . . .
My experience upon lighting this blend was similar to yours; that taste of sweetish acrid bile is not soon forgotten. Like puking into ones mouth after gorging on blackberries maybe.
Since tobacco is ludicrously expensive here nothing goes to waste.

After leaving the tin open for a few weeks, that disgusting topping completely dissipated.
Fire Dance is said to be Best Brown Flake with that foul topping which wasn't too bad.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I tossed Park Lane's Red Paramour. I think part of the fun is trying new (to me) blends. Bound to be some stinkers.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah, Exotic Passion is disappointing for sure.

I was quite disappointed as well. It’s funny that for such an esoteric interest/hobby the hive mind does change rather frequently. I remember not but a couple of years ago when Exotic Passion was well loved and Lakelands were viewed as the lowest of the low.

Reactions: mingc and Elric

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I was quite disappointed as well. It’s funny that for such an esoteric interest/hobby the hive mind does change rather frequently. I remember not but a couple of years ago when Exotic Passion was well loved and Lakelands were viewed as the lowest of the low.
I was hoping for the hit of flavor like Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday. Maybe someday I will find a citrus aromatic that meets my expectations! :)

Reactions: orvet and jackets

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Haddos Delight.

It tastes like a Hawaiian Tropic marinated hobo that had been roasted over a dumpster filled rotted cabbage and regret.
hey just cause it gives you flashbacks to your younger days when you practiced experimental cooking, doesn't mean it's a bad blend. Personally I find that the secret to a good marinated hobo is getting the regret rotting cabbage ratio right.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
honestly for me cherry anything. Which confounds me because I like both, like how they smell together but every cherry blend tastes horrible to me and frankly unsmokeable. If all pipe tobacco was that I'd have to cut my tongue out to smoke it. And I love the heck out of mixture 79.

Reactions: Winnipeger

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I'm glad to see GLP's Haddo's Delight here. Being a huge fan of Pease's blends (English, VAs, Vapers, Vaburs, depending on my mood), and also knowing that GLP's blends take some smoking, I want to like Haddo's. It just doesn't work for me. Given that it is one of the Pease blends that is sold in a 1 lb. can, people do like it obviously. This always mystified me.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Honestly the taste and mouth feel of Exotic Passion is not terrible, especially when you want to smoke something on a really hot day and garner attention from anyone around you. The bad thing is that whatever pipe you smoked it is now tainted for basically ever and you will walk around smelling like you took a high dive into the potpourri bowl at the local nursing assisted living home.