PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
bought a new old-stock pete system and at the first puffs was normal but as it reached the middle a disgusting taste came up! a mix of extreme bitterness and superglue i let it down for a day since i couldnt go on without gagging...

i tried it now again (as if a miracle would happen!) and it still sucks after it reaches the middle!

anyone else experienced/solved this problem? i put that foul thing down and immediately fired up my clay so my mouth gets nourished from that foul taste!
HEEEELP! :crying:

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
nope it has the standard black coating,

ive had many pipes with stains and non of em smoked like that ....

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
not sure about the stain, cause ive had petes that where dip stained and they didnt smoke THAT bad... this tastes like.... SHIT maybe the old-stock has to do with the stain materials? no idea only thing i know is its a great pipe and it smokes like bitter shit....

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
stem looks shiney like new could it be oxidized inside without any visible signs?

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Could be oxidized on the inside. Regular cleaning should tell you if its dirty though. Id remove the carbon coat to see whats under there and clean the shank.
Actually, given that it's a NOS pipe, oxidation is a real possibility. Taste like farts?

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
should grab my self some 4Roses and cotton balls then
no it tastes bitter with all the meaning of the word, also smells like burned superglue...

kells

Lurker
Dec 29, 2013
I have cleaned many NOS Petes before smoking them. The most likely culprit -- and the source that many folks never consider -- is the draft hole. I use a combination of smooth and bristled tapered pipe cleaners soaked in Everclear to clean that area. As step one, take one of the smooth tapered pipe cleaners, soak it in Everclear, and insert it all the way into the draft hole. Let it sit there for a few minutes, then take it out. You will be amazed at the stain that shows up on the pipe cleaner! Using bristled pipe cleaners soaked in Everclear, give the draft hole a good scrubbing. I usually finish up with the smooth tapered cleaners. It won't take very long before the pipe cleaners start coming out clean.
If the bowl is coated adequately, that should not be a problem. In addition to the draft hole, check the mortise for any signs of stain. Q-tips soaked in Everclear are perfect for the job.
You'll be amazed at the immediate positive impact this has in terms of providing a nicer smoke.

Aug 14, 2012
Sounds like the old story with Peterson. Beautifully shaped robust pipes made with any age briar and stained inside the shank. It could take months before it tastes ok. At least your bowl hasn't fallen off the stem. The only way to get them to care and improve is to starve them. Don't buy their stuff.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
To be honest, my peterson never tasted like shit, but didn't taste good either until I smoked probably 50 bowls through it. Wish I'd known the tricks posted by kells, and saved me some trouble.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
If I buy a pipe that has a black coating in it, or was dip stained I take a dremel sanding drum and sand the inside of the pipe till all that crap is out of it. It also helps build cake better because the inside of the pipe is slightly rough. Dip the stem in oxiclean and let it soak overnight and then run some cleaners through it. It will be ok. It's a shame you need to do that to a new pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What is it with Peterson? So many people really love their pipes. Peterson is often a first recommendation to many beginning pipe smokers, or those on a budget.
But I've been seeing a number of complaints about foul tasting bowls, burnouts, bad drilling, etc., over the past several years. And a certain highly respected San Francisco based online dealer in pipes has flatly stated in his review of a Peterson pipe that he's listing, that they don't give a shit. Why should their clientele have to do salvage work on new pipes?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Is it perhaps the human idea of "if I can get away with it". I am not saying this is correct but think about what has happened in the last several years, less pipe smokers but more online sales. Once someone has gone to the trouble of ordering online their human nature is to try to repair rather than return. It's a hassle dealing with mailing something back and we as men (the majority of pipe smokers) don't like asking for directions let alone admit we can't fix something. I just wonder if they are playing to human nature a bit on the lower end lines. It is only in the past year or so I have ordered online. Prior to that I touched each and every pipe in my collection which might explain why they are all good smokers.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think its because Peterson may only hear a fraction of the actual complaints about their pipes. They seem receptive to changes, such as how they now plug the bowls on their higher end pipes before staining. They are also good at making things right with the customer when presented with an issue.
I am not saying this as an excuse to their issues. I just think with their level of production, lack of efficient QC and complaints they receive, they don't think there is a huge issue. Mr. Palmer stated they have less than a 1% return rate so that would suggest to them there is not a large problem.
Or maybe they know exactly what they are doing and realize that 99% of us will not complain to them.
To me, Peterson will always be a brand in my racks. I like them and they are some of the best smokers I have. I just make sure they get a good going over for QC before I purchase a new one. Its nothing I don't do with any other pipe I buy, I just turn down a lot more Peterson's than any other. :lol:

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
'To me, Peterson will always be a brand in my racks' agreed i love the shapes-sizes all of em (except maybe the love-hate Plip thing) i love my holmes more than any other pipes never had any problem with petes until this new-old stock one i bought....

Status
Not open for further replies.