PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

So I was about to place an order with my favorite tobacconists p&c, love Russ and the crew. When low and behold after putting all my stuff in the basket and head to check out I can’t get any of my tobacco. Stupid state laws in Washington have made it illegal to ship tobacco into the state if you are not a licensed retailer.
I had enough of a stash to last me a couple years when I moved here for work.
I get the reasoning behind the taxing and even the underage issues but to simply make it illegal is dee da dee stupid. What are the legislative dorks thinking? Need help finding a tobacco shop or someone who likes to travel up this way to accept my purchase from Russ and the guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I was about to place an order with my favorite tobacconists p&c, love Russ and the crew. When low and behold after putting all my stuff in the basket and head to check out I can’t get any of my tobacco. Stupid state laws in Washington have made it illegal to ship tobacco into the state if you are not a licensed retailer.
I had enough of a stash to last me a couple years when I moved here for work.
I get the reasoning behind the taxing and even the underage issues but to simply make it illegal is dee da dee stupid. What are the legislative dorks thinking? Need help finding a tobacco shop or someone who likes to travel up this way to accept my purchase from Russ and the guys.
The problem is that Washington State sucks........................

also you just said "travel up this way".. to where in the state?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
The biggest problem I have is that now my tad is not going to be filled the way it needs to be by having limited blends at the B&M’s near me. I mean come on they don’t have the variety that an online or catalog can supply.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Sorry to hear that. P&C hasn’t shipped to Washington in over 5 years. They did everything they could, but were not able to legally ship there. They didn’t take it lightly since it was a big loss in revenue. Can’t blame them for a state law.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Ok who lives in the Portland area. I am sure there are a bunch of guys out this way that want to do a road trip and visit with other bacci brothers. Who’s with me?(cue big patriotic band music)

Reactions: kurtbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
check out the Market Tobacco Patch outside of Pike Market.
owner is a good guy he could probably custom order you tobacco if you so desired.

and my experience in Washington State is that while beautiful it rains all the time, and there is quite a dichotomy of "city folk" vs "rednecks". Rednecks win from what I've seen.

Of course, forum rules prohibit us from conspiring to circumvent the law... publicly. puffy ...But, hypothetically... if we had a system of people to buy for folks like you, and then repackage and make a shipment, individual to individual... laws wouldn't necessarily be broken.
But, you'd all have to find somewhere else to discuss it... at least until an admin tells us differently.

But, I do know that people discussed the problem with shipping to Canada so often that it made it the first Google hit when you Googled "sneaking tobacco into Canada." It was discussed so often that magically Canadian customs were pinging almost all tobacco packages coming across the border.
Jus say'n

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This shouldn't be that difficult to deal with. Make your orders larger to offset additional shipping costs. Find a friend or relative in another state, preferrably one that has low state sales tax. Have them accept the package then turn around and forward it to you. Yes, you'll pay a shipping charge but at least you can get tobacco. Since you'll know from the package the size and weight, you can even send your relative/friend a pre paid shipping label they can print out and attach.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If only we had some sort of... I don’t know the legal term for my grandiose idea... Bill of Rights? Like an enumerated list of common laws that preserves our liberties.
You already do, see the 10th Amendment, also gander Cosmic’s first post. Bipartisan is totalitarian wording at best. Until you grab your pitch fork.....never mind??

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Of course, forum rules prohibit us from conspiring to circumvent the law... publicly. puffy ...But, hypothetically... if we had a system of people to buy for folks like you, and then repackage and make a shipment, individual to individual... laws wouldn't necessarily be broken.
But, you'd all have to find somewhere else to discuss it... at least until an admin tells us differently.

But, I do know that people discussed the problem with shipping to Canada so often that it made it the first Google hit when you Googled "sneaking tobacco into Canada." It was discussed so often that magically Canadian customs were pinging almost all tobacco packages coming across the border.
Jus say'n
In Cometh the Bandit!

Status
Not open for further replies.