Discovered A New Scotch Whisky This Week.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Seeing as my local supermarket is really slow in delivering supplies to Chateau Roland lately I decided to look elsewhere for supplies, in particular ALCOHOL!!!!

Amazon was my first choice and wow did I get lucky. My usual Woods 100 Rum is £24 from Asda, my Lambs Rum is £16. Yet Amazon had the Woods 100 at £19.99 and the Lambs at £14. These prices are excellent and if over £20 is ordered, delivered free!

So I looked for my favourite blended scotch Whyte and Mackay. Alas no Whyte and Mackay but another blend called 'Woodsman'.

Never heard of it so did a search and lo and behold, it's made by Whyte and Mackay. Best thing was, it was on offer at £18 per 70cl down from £28. Bargain methinks so I put in an order for three of each rum and three Woodsman.

Well I tried my first glass last night and was mightily impressed. So smooth it just slips down, slight peaty sweetness with a hint of vanilla.

Ok, not the single malt favoured by many, including myself, but I do know that in my opinion, there are many blends that taste better than many single malts!

Plus it comes in a snazzy (proper cork bunged too) bottle.

Cheers chaps.....

Regards,

Jay ?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sounds interesting! I’ve still got a bottle of Jura on my shelf unopened. May have to remedy that but I’ve got a bottle of Lagavulin open right now.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Here's a 21 year single malt I highly recommend:

We get 75cL bottles here in the US instead of 70 and it looks like it costs us $12 more as well but in the US market, or any other market, you're not going to find a 21 year single malt for $69/bottle that even comes close to how good this stuff is.

It looks like they have some 12 & 18 versions that are in the same price range as the Woodsman.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
usual Woods 100 Rum is £24 from Asda, my Lambs Rum is £16. Yet Amazon had the Woods 100 at £19.99 and the Lambs at £14. These prices are excellent and if over £20 is ordered, delivered free!
We’re over to your flat for the quarantine then!?

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Here's a 21 year single malt I highly recommend:

We get 75cL bottles here in the US instead of 70 and it looks like it costs us $12 more as well but in the US market, or any other market, you're not going to find a 21 year single malt for $69/bottle that even comes close to how good this stuff is.
Shane
Drat It is $119 and special order here in Idaho:( surprised because usually, if available, ABC keeps the price at list, which helps prevents the gouging I saw through the mid west this summer especially hard to find Bourbons.
Chuck

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
No beverage control has control, except wine/beer I believe.
It sucks that states have these restrictions. On one hand I understand a lot of what they are trying to prevent but on the other hand it limits availability. I originally started ordering online because I was able to get stuff at auction that just isn't available. Fortunately I live in a state that allows up to 1 gallon per month for personal consumption of alcoholic beverages to be ordered.

Reactions: Bengel

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Fortunately I live in a state that allows up to 1 gallon per month for personal consumption of alcoholic beverages to be ordered."

Wow Shanez, that's some really strange law. Does it include bottled ales or just wine and spirits?

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: shanez

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, on Amazon UK Haig Gold Label / Large Bottle / 113cl is £34.95 and Bells is £19.99 for 70cl.

Ardmore Legacy single malt is on offer at £20 for 70cl, down from the usual price of £32.99. I've had this in the past and quite enjoyed it so at that price is a great bargain.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
"Fortunately I live in a state that allows up to 1 gallon per month for personal consumption of alcoholic beverages to be ordered."

Wow Shanez, that's some really strange law. Does it include bottled ales or just wine and spirits?

Regards,

Jay.
Jay,

It's funny. I always am a little taken aback when I see what is allowed in the UK vs here in the US. But after thinking about it it actually makes sense for both sides. We have federal then state then local layers of law whereas the UK does not have the state layer. At a federal level a lot of things are not illegal and it's left to the states to decide their own laws. This is one of the reasons we can't purchase alcohol via Amazon. The varied state laws make it too complex and they simply don't want to deal with compliance. In the UK, as I understand it, the laws are more uniform thus making it easier. (Incidentally this also is a large part of why people from other countries are often confused about the application of sales tax as it varies so much vs a standard VAT in other countries.)

Anyway, about the statute in question it makes sense too. For larger quantities not for personal use a license is required and taxes must be paid. Once the state established that they simply made an exception so people order in quantities that clearly are not for distribution/resale purposes. I myself originally started ordering online because certain wines simply aren't available where I live. Indeed many aren't available hardly at all. (Curse you 1970 Taylor's port!) Very rarely is it the case where I order to simply save money. Many bottles are actually cheaper locally or close enough that it doesn't make sense to order.

Here is the statute:

Unlawful possession, sale or transportation of liquor; exceptions.
1.  Except as otherwise provided, a person shall not directly or indirectly, himself or herself or by his or her clerk, agent or employee, offer, keep or possess for sale, furnish or sell, or solicit the purchase or sale of any liquor in this State, or transport or import or cause to be transported or imported any liquor in or into this State for delivery, storage, use or sale therein, unless the person:
(a) Has complied fully with the provisions of this chapter; and
(b) Holds an appropriate, valid license, permit or certificate issued by the Department.
2.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, the provisions of this chapter do not apply to a person:
(a) Entering this State with a quantity of alcoholic beverage for household or personal use which is exempt from federal import duty;
(b) Who imports 1 gallon or less of alcoholic beverage per month from another state for his or her own household or personal use;
(c) Who:
(1) Is a resident of this State;
(2) Is 21 years of age or older; and
(3) Imports 12 cases or less of wine per year for his or her own household or personal use; or
(d) Who is lawfully in possession of wine produced on the premises of an instructional wine-making facility for his or her own household or personal use and who is acting in a manner authorized.
3.  The provisions of subsection 2 do not apply to a supplier, wholesaler or retailer while he or she is acting in his or her professional capacity.
4.  A person who accepts liquor shipped into this State pursuant to paragraph (b) or (c) of subsection 2 must be 21 years of age or older.

Oddly enough, recent rulings at the federal level regarding the collection of state sales taxes have made it easier to prove taxes were paid/collected.

If you've seen people form the US on this forum react slightly differently to tobacco taxes and/or shipping regulations it is because of very similar reasons.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well Shanez, many thanks for posting that. I had to read it twice just to make sure I got it!

I never knew that you couldn't buy alcohol from Amazon, it's all quite barmy if you ask me.

In the notes you posted, I presume that where it says "liquor" it means spirits only?

Going from alcohol to pipe tobacco, in that regard you American folks have a much better deal that we Brits do. That is why I bought so much British made tobacco from my enabler in the States. Despite me paying packing, air freight and a little something for the enabler I was still making a huge saving by going that route rather than buying it here where it's made.

Absolute madness!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jay.

PS: As I spied the Ardmore Legacy bargain on Amazon I snapped up two bottles :rolleyes:

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for the heads up. I always like to have some affordable yet tasty Scotch on hand. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.