PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been out of the loop for about a year or more and would like some info please. I just read where Klondike Gold has been discontinued and was wondering what other blends or even brands have also bitten the dust.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I can't answer your question right now, but I'm sure there will be some folks here that will. I really just wanted to say
Welcome_Back.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cigrmaster, don't know a thing about Klondike Gold but welcome back to the fold. It hasn't been the same without you. We only hear now and then from peck, but he's still makes an appearance. Maybe he'll be more present now that you're back. You two provided a lot of good jive hereabouts. I'm just mumbling around as usual. Welcome back!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Welcome back, Harris. Like MSO said, you have been greatly missed here.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys, I have missed you all a great deal. I couldn't smoke so hanging out here would have been torture.
jim, so what else besides Klondike Gold has been discontinued? Also have any mfgs bought or sold each others blends?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Harris, it's hard to tell whether some blends have been discontinued. You can't always get an answer to the question, and some, I believe may still be made, but not sold here any more. I know Rotary Navy Cut is no longer made, all Brigham blends are gone, but I dunno what else for sure. I'm not buying tobacco these days, so I'm not much help to you here.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
McClelland Christmas Cheer, Yenidje Highlander, and Erinmore Plug are gone as well.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo Harris
Great to hear you're doing ok, and it's even better to see you getting back into the loop. About the time you started your hiatus, there was a cascade of new blends inspired by trying to get into the market before one of the FDA deadlines. Some of these were tinnings of existing bulks, and others were tweaks of the same. But along with Dunhill's announcement of exiting the business one of these days, Brigham, Drew Estate and Tsuge quit production. Other disruptions involve GQ and HU, and a number of blends also went out of production. The new EU and Brit regs forcing relabelings and renamings seem to have forced repackaging of the survivors.
hp

les

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
All the Standard Tobacco blends are still rocking along including a few that we didn't 'cook up' that just seemed to appear! :rofl:

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Welcome back cigrmaster. Anything from Smokershaven is premium or extinct. Pipeswork and Wilke has retired from blending. Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Shop gone the way of the dodo. Sadly yes, many blends have gone and many more will go.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Welcome back, dude! Velvan Plug is another one that got discontinued along with Erinmore Plug but obviously neither of those were available in the States anyway.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I never to did figure out why the guys at Swedish Match tossed the Erinmore Plug but kept that piece of 4 by 2 wood off cut called Yachtsman Plug in production.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Harris,
So some things, like Brigham, have gone poof, goodbye. Dunhill tobaccos will be discontinued in the US, and probably the planet, within the next 12 months. But new blends have come on the market, Pease has reissued some of his old blends, including some Drucquer & Son blends and Stonehenge flake. Also, while Dunhill branded tobaccos are still available, they reissued a few of their discontinued blends. Esoterica blends continue to be elusive and Germain's deliveries continue to be erratic and unpredictable.
The timeframe for the FDA guillotine has been delayed from 2018 to 2021 so many endangered blends will be around longer.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Good to see you back Harris................ :D

Personally I don't think Dunhill blends will go anywhere, They will be here till the end......... Just my .02............

But stock up just in case.......... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.