PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Oh dread! While absorbed in reading the Perfect Pipe. I was smoking my brand new Chacom and decided to smoke a second bowl. Ill advised. I twisted the stem off of my too warm pipe and snapped off the tenon!

I cannot tell you what I am going through just now... Black thoughts... Horror, anger...

Can somone point me to a reputable pipe repair person?
Jim

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear your news. I hope you manage to get it fixed soon. It's one of those occasions you wish you could just go back in time a few seconds and reconsider.

Jul 15, 2011
Can somone point me to a reputable pipe repair person?
I trust no one other than Floyd Norwood for my repair work. Just google Norwoods Pipe Repair and you will be directed to his site. I have had nothing but the best luck and professional workmanship and speedy turn around time. Any time I have sent a pipe off to him, from the time I drop it in the mail to the time I have it back in my hands is no longer than 7 days. Mind you, I have no affiliation with Mr. Norwood and don't work for him or anything like that, I am just a very satisfied customer.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Walker Briar Works fixed a broken stem for me and did an awesome job.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
+1 for Walker Briar Works, they replaced a Vulcanite stem on a Dunhill I purchased at an antique store and it shines like new. I couldn't be happier!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I always allow my pipes to cool before disassembly, but I never knew why. Now I do.

Thanks for posting, and I hope your pipe will soon be good as new. Wait a minute! It is new! :crying:

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I second all the opinions here. But I want to add, you can keep the original stem, Iif you like it, and have a delrin tenon inserted. I find them to be fantastic and very durable. Just a thought.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
Damn, hate to hear that,,,but dont sweet the small stuff,,youll get it fixed, and all will be good to go.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks all...

A few hours of sleep later... cooler minds... and now that it is too late... cooler stems prevail.

I am about to drop Walker a line... They seem to have a lot of positive reviews here.

@Chubster thank you that is a good thought. I am not a huge fan of Acrylic stems, but this is original an brand new stem the pipe came with. I may go that route.

Will post up my experiences.

Thanks

Jim

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Walker charges $18 for delrin and $24 for vulcanite or lucite tenons.
Dave recommended delrin to me, one reason being that it is self lubricating.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Mike Myers, who worked with Dave at Walker Briar Works, now does pipe repairs at Walker Pipe Repair, using the techniques and quality work I've been accustomed to from Dave: http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/
Mike has been doing most of the work of that type for quite some time now. Same fine work, same fine quality, according to Dave. I recently talked with him on the phone and he has assured that Mike will continue to produce impecable repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.