PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
I recently bought 8oz of Sutliff’s Match Balkan Sobranie Original, and was quite surprised to find it was not at all enjoyable to me when I smoked some las night.
Previously I have been smoking Sutliff Balkan II and really enjoyed it, same with Lane HGL, Sutliff 504c, Match 20, MacBarens Plumcake, and other blends, all of which I found enjoyable.
This Match Balkan Sobranie in comparison tastes very flat to me, missing the complexity and contrast of sweetness and smokiness and spice that I particularly enjoyed about the Balkan II.
Am I missing something here, or did Sutliff Miss the mark with this blend?
seems that it must be me though, seeing as it gets good reviews generally.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I recently bought 8oz of Sutliff’s Match Balkan Sobranie Original, and was quite surprised to find it was not at all enjoyable to me when I smoked some las night.
Previously I have been smoking Sutliff Balkan II and really enjoyed it, same with Lane HGL, Sutliff 504c, Match 20, MacBarens Plumcake, and other blends, all of which I found enjoyable.
This Match Balkan Sobranie in comparison tastes very flat to me, missing the complexity and contrast of sweetness and smokiness and spice that I particularly enjoyed about the Balkan II.
I haven’t had Balkan II, but BSOMM is more Oriental-forward than a lot of other English blends, so maybe that’s what you’re not keen on. The BS 759 Match sounds more to your liking, but I wouldn’t advise buying 8 oz of anything you’ve never tried. I think 2 oz is enough to decide if you like it, then go back for more if so.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's the bulk of Hearth and Home's White Knight.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I’ve not tried the Sutliff match, but H&H White Knight is designed as a match for the 70’s Balkan Sobranie and it’s one of my favorite Latakia blends. It’s sweet and smoky and quintessentially Balkan.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I don't know. I love BSOM Have yet another pound on the way. But I'm partial to that type of oriental leaf.

I was a big fan of the McClelland Grand Orientals line and find them similar to those used in this match by Sutliff. For me the BSOM comes across very much like Skiff Mixture with a healthy dose of that McClelland like floral oriental added to it. I can't get enough of this stuff.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't know. I love BSOM Have yet another pound on the way. But I'm partial to that type of oriental leaf.

I was a big fan of the McClelland Grand Orientals line and find them similar to those used in this match by Sutliff. For me the BSOM comes across very much like Skiff Mixture with a healthy dose of that McClelland like floral oriental added to it. I can't get enough of this stuff.
Try Peretti's "Royal". You'll never want BSOM again.

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
I’ll probably try smoking a couple more bowls of this stuff to see if it grows on me, if not I’ll set it aside until I get to 100 posts and can trade tobaccos on here.

Reactions: BROBS

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I’ll probably try smoking a couple more bowls of this stuff to see if it grows on me, if not I’ll set it aside until I get to 100 posts and can trade tobaccos on here.
Match BSOM is one of my favs. I find it both sweet and smokey, the two elements you found missing. We may well have different and opposing palates. However, the last time I bought a bulk bag of Match BSOM, I found in transferring the blend to a jar, that the like components were clumping together, especially the ribbon cut tobaccos, so that the mix was not well-blended together. So, I'd suggest the next time you smoke a bowl, that you pour the tobacco out into a large mixing bowl, check for clumps and tear them apart with your fingers or a couple of forks to get them well-mixed.

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
Match BSOM is one of my favs. I find it both sweet and smokey, the two elements you found missing. We may well have different and opposing palates. However, the last time I bought a bulk bag of Match BSOM, I found in transferring the blend to a jar, that the like components were clumping together, especially the ribbon cut tobaccos, so that the mix was not well-blended together. So, I'd suggest the next time you smoke a bowl, that you pour the tobacco out into a large mixing bowl, check for clumps and tear them apart with your fingers or a couple of forks to get them well-mixed.

that’s an excellent suggestion, I’ll try that, thank you.

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
The Match BSOM is okay. Balkan Ii is superb. There is nothing wrong with being “okay’.

I am inclined to agree with you, I mixed up the BSOMM as suggested by @mingc and it was improved significantly, however the Balkan II is still far better IMHO, perhaps it has a bit more Virginia in it for sweetness or something but I find it much more enjoyable.
That said, the BSOMM is much better once thoroughly mixed, I didn’t find it nearly as harsh or one note as I did before.

Reactions: mingc
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
That said, the BSOMM is much better once thoroughly mixed, I didn’t find it nearly as harsh or one note as I did before.
Nothing wrong with not liking something, but that blend shouldn’t really be harsh. At least not in my experience with it. It does come on the damp side, so make sure it’s dry enough before smoking. Sometimes excess moisture causes harshness. All that said, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Sutliff BSOMM is my favorite, as I find it the heaviest in Orientals. It is indeed similar, if not exact as others have stated, to white knight. The Orientals in both age really well.

Balkan Supreme is very well blended in that no components really over power the others. Smooth and quality. I like it but personally prefer a bit more oriental punch. I've cellared both.

It's really a matter of what percentages, or strength, of what components you'd prefer. I feel that anyone disparaging any of the offerings as inferior to the others is being misleading.

It can get even more confusing when you learn how companies source oriental tobacco, of which the varying oriental varieties are often unknown and or blended.

I am biased however. I find a select few Sutliff blends in their respective genres, however lauded on this forum, as under-rated.