PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Hello to all, just signed up. Brand new pipe smoker, three months in to my new hobby. Here in North Carolina i have a great brick and mortar tobacconist just down the road from me. Just quit smoking cigs (1 acupuncture session somehow cured me of cigarettes) about 4 months ago. Somehow came across ytpc, started watching Bremen pipe smoker and matches860 , got interested in this hobby. Bought an unfinished mm cob , then another, then the plaster one and the guy at the shop said "D, you should really buy a briar..." So 40 bucks i got a small briar, shape reminds me of colonial clay pipes. Lucite stem. Broke that in with house blends, mostly English and aromatics. Now i see what all the fuss is about about having a "real" briar pipe. Since then i got a savinelli 2nd for 60 bucks, the 812? Not sure. Canadian- Lumberman style, long oval briar shank. Love it, but the bowl is huge for me. Anyway, here to stay as a new pipe smoker, my ? Is what style briar should i buy next? Bulldog? Author? Rhodesian? Which is best for the noob who likes macbaren old dark fired and Petersons perfect plug plug and SPC Mississippi River. Thanks guys. Ready to read alot here and learn a bunch. Cant wait. Thanks again, and Cheers! D.

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Any advice on how to share a photo here will help that. I have no idea but am trying to figure it out. Thanks for the welcome and reply. D.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome from NE FL. Pipe choice is definitely personal. You seem to want a bit smaller bowl so, any of the three that you suggested would fit the bill.

Reactions: Dirty D

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Any advice on how to share a photo here will help that.

Using a phone? I have no idea, I use a Chromebook. I save the photo on my Chromebook and then I insert the photo using the button next to the left of the smiley face. That is the only way I know how.

I know...not much help.

Reactions: Elric and Dirty D

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Welcome! I’m glad to see we’ve got so many folks coming in.

The first thing I want to say after ‘Welcome’ is to check out the Tobacco Legislation sub-forum here. We need as many people defending our beloved pipe tobacco as possible!!

Secondly, as far as what pipe to buy next? I can only say that my eyes tell me. My wallet doesn’t always agree...

Pictures: there should be an “attach files” link on the bottom left (that’s where it is in my Safari browser); just choose that and it’s menu-driven from there :)

ETA: I smoke ODF strictly from a cob. I own many briars, but I believe that I personally get the full Burley taste from a cob — ODF tastes muted in a briar, of course these are merely my opinions and tastebuds. Have yet to try 3P.

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Using a phone? I have no idea, I use a Chromebook. I save the photo on my Chromebook and then I insert the photo using the button next to the left of the smiley face. That is the only way I know how.

I know...not much help.
Yes on an android phone and thats it.. Ill work on it. Cheers. D.

Reactions: scloyd

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Welcome! I’m glad to see we’ve got so many folks coming in.

The first thing I want to say after ‘Welcome’ is to check out the Tobacco Legislation sub-forum here. We need as many people defending our beloved pipe tobacco as possible!!

Secondly, as far as what pipe to buy next? I can only say that my eyes tell me. My wallet doesn’t always agree...

Pictures: there should be an “attach files” link on the bottom left (that’s where it is in my Safari browser); just choose that and it’s menu-driven from there :)
Thanks, will attempt. D.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
ODF:
Get the plug version, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Peter Heinrich’s Dark Strong Flake.

SPC Mississippi River.......Have you tried the plum pudding and/or plum pudding reserve? Lots of great english/balkan blends out there. You can sort by rating on tobaccoreviews.com, a very valuable resource.

Mar 1, 2014
...what style briar should i buy next? Bulldog? Author? Rhodesian?

Yes.

The external shape won't make much of a difference, that's almost entirely a matter of aesthetics. What you want to do is try the different inner bowl shapes, look for chamber width and depth.
The Savinelli 320 is a common example of something people like to get when they're looking for out of the ordinary pipes.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Welcome from Southern Colorado! When it comes to deciding which pipes to buy, I go for the best deal I can find -- usually an estate pipe with light use or remarkable restoration value -- but first and foremost it's gotta be something I want to hold in my hand and smoke...

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
ODF:
Get the plug version, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Peter Heinrich’s Dark Strong Flake.

SPC Mississippi River.......Have you tried the plum pudding and/or plum pudding reserve? Lots of great english/balkan blends out there. You can sort by rating on tobaccoreviews.com, a very valuable resource.

Fantastic suggestions!

I would only add that if you like ODF (good stuff ain’t it?), try a tin of “Peterson’s Irish Flake” as well ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.