PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AlotOfFoxes

Lurker
Feb 21, 2022
Montreal, Quebec
hey!

I recently have been introduced into pipe smoking by a friend.
I was currently looking on the internet for a pipe and I've naturally been attracted to amazon to do my shopping. The thing is once I've realized that 20 $ seemed a bit low for a quality pipe (Joyoldelf and other chinese products) I've looked around the internet and even learned that some wood are actually toxic when warmed or burnt. Anyways, I've been now looking for a bit around to find a pipe that wouldn't kill me and would be around 50$ (I know I might have a low budget but I don't want to burn 100$ without knowing if I really gonna love this new way to appreciate tobacco). I've found the website Mr. Borg and I really like some of the design of their pipes and they claimed to be briar wood (there's pear wood too). I know that their model around 50$ won't be the best quality but I don't really mind that my first pipe is not a fancy one. All that said, is MrBorg a good call? or maybe you have something better to propose me? Will MrBorg products cause me to drop dead:eek::LOL:???

P.s. I know about the corncob ones (being around 10$) But I don't find them particularly good looking and they seem to be pretty fragile and break easily (I might be wrong tho).

Reactions: Meerly John

AlotOfFoxes

Lurker
Feb 21, 2022
Montreal, Quebec
Check out Rossi—they're a budget Savinelli line. Ropp's Etudiant pipes has some nice options between forty and sixty dollars. You can find them at smokingpipes.com, one of the sponsors here.
Check out Smokingpipes.com | Tobacco Pipes - Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/ . Look for a reliable brands there. Most important thing regarding a pipe is how well and clean it's been drilled. Most pipes there are pretty reliable.
Thanks! just found out about Brigham! Found A good looking one around 40$ and they're canadian wich is a plus for me :)

AlotOfFoxes

Lurker
Feb 21, 2022
Montreal, Quebec
No idea where you are located so hard to make suggestions.

You can get a really good quality estate from Reborn Pipes for around $50 or just a little more. I have a Barclay-Rex pot that is a great little pipe I got there -- quality briar, well restored.
I'm in quebec, close to Montreal. being that we talk french in here the information about tobacco and pipes are pretty sparse

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm in Quebec, close to Montreal. Being that we speak French here the information about tobacco and pipes is pretty sparse.
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
hey!

I was currently looking on the internet for a pipe and I've naturally been attracted to amazon to do my shopping. The thing is once I've realized that 20 $ seemed a bit low for a quality pipe (Joyoldelf and other chinese products) I've looked around the internet and even learned that some wood are actually toxic when warmed or burnt. Anyways, I've been now looking for a bit around to find a pipe that wouldn't kill me and would be around 50$ (I know I might have a low budget but I don't want to burn 100$ without knowing if I really gonna love this new way to appreciate tobacco). I've found the website Mr. Borg and I really like some of the design of their pipes and they claimed to be briar wood (there's pear wood too). I know that their model around 50$ won't be the best quality but I don't really mind that my first pipe is not a fancy one. All that said, is MrBorg a good call? or maybe you have something better to propose me? Will MrBorg products cause me to drop dead:eek::LOL:???

P.s. I know about the corncob ones (being around 10$) But I don't find them particularly good looking and they seem to be pretty fragile and break easily (I might be wrong tho).
Won a few Chinese briar pipes on ebay for a bargain.
Under the brand name Road Town.

The 'carbon' coating in the bowl was so vile that I nearly choked. God knows what toxic crap was used.
Sandpaper removed it.
Then there was the Road Town bent Dublin with bamboo stem that I paid $35usd. Fine looking pipe. Shame that it was junk.
It was a stupid design that made it hard to clean so it was more of a display pipe. One day I picked it up and a big chunk of the stem broke in my hand.
Never again would I buy a Chinese briar.

Won a pearwood Polish made Poker on ebay for a few dollars. It's a great pipe.

Most of my pipes were won on ebay auctions. A mixture of brand names and unbranded pipes.
Bought quite a few antique NOS [new old stock] from the 20's to 80s.
Most are good smokers.
The only estate pipes [2nd hand] I'll buy are lightly used examples that have been professionally cleaned.

My tactic on ebay was to put a low bid on multiple pipes.
That way it's easy to build a rotation without spending a lot of money.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Pipes Estates on EBay is run by a French pipe maker. Often has NOS (unsmoked new old stock) for sub-$50.
Low shipping charges is a bonus.

I have bought estate pipes from him (again sub $50) and they arrive in great ready-to-smoke condition.

Being OCD, I run alcohol-dipped cleaners through all my pipes before I smoke. Even new ones

Reactions: tklee

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
hey!

I'm just outside Montreal myself, (and speak French as well). Sounds like a little above your budget, but a Blatter pipe (on Pres-Kennedy in Montreal,) for $90 is a high quality, decent priced pipe to start with. And if you don't like pipe smoking, I think you could probably find a buyer pretty easily. If you want to go much cheaper, I would probably start with a corncob that you can find from many of the mentioned sites from the US or maybe a local tobacco shop. I've been smoking pipes for a little over two years, and picked up an ebay special at first, that lasted maybe two or three smokes. Went to Blatter soon after and picked up a beautiful bent billard for $90. A great smoker!20200525_132343.jpg

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
There is a difference between liking how a pipe looks, and how a pipe looks in your chops.
Until somebody comes up with a digital substitute for a mirror, that's going to be the curse of internet pipe shopping.