PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Could someone please tell me what the majority of the upper quality pipes stems are made of? I mean how do you tell the difference in the vulcanite and acrylic? I have a Knute Danish freehand pipe I smoke and the stem is looking fairly rough and dull. Of course it probably does not help that I am a heavy biter on the bit end of it. I was thinking there has to be a way to make it look better. Now that Falcon pipe I smoke the stem seems to be made of a tougher material, more so than the Knute.

Last edited by a moderator:

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
Isn't Vulcanite a type of hard rubber? My Peterson has one and it oxidizes naturally and gets dull. Acrylic stems generally stay glossy without the need to polish them.

If you're a biter, rubber pipe bits should help.

Reactions: 02Knight
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Vulcanite requires a small bit of maintenance if you want them to stay nice glossy black, but I prefer the feel of them between my teeth to most acrylic. Acrylic is slightly more glassy feeling. Not a huge deal unless you smoke all day (I do during the summer) or have sensitive teeth I guess, but if I have my dithers, I prefer vulcanite.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Vulcanite requires a small bit of maintenance if you want them to stay nice glossy black, but I prefer the feel of them between my teeth to most acrylic. Acrylic is slightly more glassy feeling. Not a huge deal unless you smoke all day (I do during the summer) or have sensitive teeth I guess, but if I have my dithers, I prefer vulcanite.
Ok, I see now, @Country Bladesmith My Knute would be a Vulcanite stem then because it is a softer feel and perhaps that Falcon Pipe would be Acrylic. Thanks

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
I bought mine on eBay (like $8 for a 3 pack) but they can be found in any tobacco shop that still caters to pipe smokers.
Thanks loads @eugenepark I just ordered some off ebay! That should do the trick very well! Yea I'm a biter, have a partial on the bottom and some caps on top so I have a tendency to be a little rough on the end of a bit. I'm in the process of getting all my teeth removed and get some of those new shiny store bought teeth!!:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: eugenepark

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
I noticed the sponsor site smokingpipes.com sells this Brebbia Stem polish. Is that any good for helping clean up a stem? I do get alot of Estate pipes that I try to resell, unless I see one that catches my eye for myself, and some of them are pretty rough looking so thought they would sell better cleaned up a bit.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Could someone please tell me what the majority of the upper quality pipes stems are made of? I mean how do you tell the difference in the vulcanite and acrylic? I have a Knute Danish freehand pipe I smoke and the stem is looking fairly rough and dull. Of course it probably does not help that I am a heavy biter on the bit end of it. I was thinking there has to be a way to make it look better. Now that Falcon pipe I smoke the stem seems to be made of a tougher material, more so than the Knute.
Generally, lucite (basically a slightly better acrylic) is preferred over acrylic which is preferred over vulcanite (a type or rubber than can/will oxidize over time) which is preferred over propionate plastic (like the bits on the MM Cob pipes).

I'm not an expert on deoxidizing or polishing stems, but do a search in these forums for advice as there are various products and techniques depending on the level of oxidation from using toothpaste to Magic Erasers to polishing cloths to sanding.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think most of the higher end pipes are still Vulcanite or Ebonite, but acrylic has moved up in the world and is now used by some of the high end artisans. Some factory pipes have other plastics, some durable, some not. I chew through the MM cob basic stems so I like to get the special editions with acrylic stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.