SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2023
I inherited a pipe collection. Cleaned the pipes with Kosher salt and alcohol. I bought several different 1 ounce tobaccos. I'm trying different pipes and tobaccos, the same day. How do you "clean your palate" in-between smokes? Should you stick to one tobacco a day?

Reactions: Yadkin1765

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
welcome! i got going recently in similar manner. you will find anything goes. smoke what you want, when you want, in any pipe you want...there is no wrong way. you may find different tobaccos work better (for you) in one size or style of pipe or another. part of the fun and discovery! follow the "what are you smoking" thread and you'll see every kind of example.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Reminds me of an old joke...

A guy walks into a bar and orders 10 shots of whiskey, the bar tender looks at him shrugs and pours the whiskeys then watches as the guy does one shot after enough all the way down the line ... the bartend says "hey fella that's a lot of whiskey what's the occasion?" the guy looks up and says "my first bj.... " The bartender says "Hey congrats, let me buy you another shot!" and the guy says "No thanks if 10 doesn't get the taste out of my mouth i don't think one more will help ... "

Thank you thank you I'm hear all week!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cleaning the palate is a term l had never heard until l followed pipe forums.
Mostly done at wine tastings. Some here put tobacco in the same, snooty class. Ergo, gotta clean the palate.

I prefer to let Jim do all the heavy tasting and such while I keep my smoking simple, uncluttered. Jiminks does a hell of a job (Freely, at no cost the the great number of beneficiaries of his "life's work."), and so spares me the more mundane trials and tribulations.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You didn't say which tobacco blends you got to try.

If smoking several from the same genre, then go for it.

If you're tasting across genres, then I wouldn't start your day with a Latakia or Oriental heavy blend.
Work your way up from Virginia, burley and Cavendish blends towards the Latakia/Orientals.

I usually finish with an aromatic, if I'm having a bowl.
I see it as the dessert. 😉

A bit like wine tasting - start out with the lightest, then go up the scale of flavour and robustness.
Finish with a sweet.

But hey, this is meant to be a fun, relaxing past time.
So NO RULES.
Whatever you feel like 😄

Last edited:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I inherited a pipe collection. Cleaned the pipes with Kosher salt and alcohol. I bought several different 1 ounce tobaccos. I'm trying different pipes and tobaccos, the same day. How do you "clean your palate" in-between smokes? Should you stick to one tobacco a day?
I may or may not smoke the same blend all day. Just depends on what I’m craving. (I won’t typically have more than three different blends in the same day, though…unless maybe I’m finishing up a couple of different tins.)

But unless I’m sampling a blend for the first time and really want to dig in for my review (I keep a journal of everything I’ve tried), I don’t worry about “cleansing my palate.” But maybe that naturally happens as I break for a meal or a snack throughout the day.

Reactions: Briar Tuck