PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
When I overindulge in high potency tobacco I get a quesy gut attack but no headache or anything else. I believe this is what determines how much I can smoke. What effects of overdoing nicotine ingestion do you experience?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Possibly light headed, and a tad queasy. However that rarely happens to me what with smoking cigarettes for 50+ years. When, and if it by chance it does happen, I know I've run into a somewhat potent tobacco or I smoked it too fast. It should be noted that I occasionally inhale, albeit very lightly while clenching my pipe. It did happen a few days ago, and I was very surprised while smoking a large bowl of ODF which has never happened in the past. It has a lot of variables and I imagine it was simply my metabolism on that particular day and I admittedly am somewhat of an aggressive pipe smoker at times. When in doubt about a particular tobacco it's best to have a full stomach.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
That really depends on the nicotine level of the tobacco, and your tolerance on any given day. Burley and Perique are both high(er) in nicotine than Virginias or Cavendish, even though most Cavendish is Burley-based.
C&D Exclusive churns my belly every time. No other Virginia/Perique does that to me. Burley blends never bother me. I guess body chemistry plays a large role in it.
I mixed 60% C&D Exclusive with 40% C&D Bright Virginia Ribbon and it has never bothered me since.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Nicotine is strange in how it effects different people, and in how different doses create different effects. There are some blends that leave me feeling queasy and spin my head. Other times, I get a pleasant warm feeling, as if I just had a warm meal, and a sense of alertness. Other times I get sleepy. I think it all depends in overall amount and dosage over time. I have noticed certain blends seem to produce certain effects, probably due to potency and the speed at which the nicotine is absorbed due to burning characteristics and my own smoking pace.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, there are indeed a lot of variables. I may not experience another nicotine hit as I experienced again for three months or more, or possibly tomorrow. It all depends, obviously, on the tobacco, your metabolism at any given time, what you have eaten (or not), the cadence of smoking, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am not acutely sensitive to nicotine. When I've smoked a lot of strong tobacco on a less than full stomach,

I have had a little head spinning feeling, not much in the belly at all. (When I went to sea after a 48 hour trip

to the Far East in the Navy, I never had motion sickness, so maybe I have that resistance. Some guys really

suffered for days.) I enjoy a little light buzz from nicotine, but I am not aware of smoking for nicotine buzz.

I happily rotate to low-to-no nic blends, for a change of flavor, and find it brings up the flavor on stronger

blends when I get back to them. However, I mostly don't smoke in the morning, on an empty stomach, or

without trying out a blend in a small pipe or small quantity. Some full strength blends, like heavy burleys,

don't seem to give any nic effect at all. It's very individual. I'd go slow with something like Tambolaka or

rope tobaccos, famous for their kick.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The primary symptom of overindulgence that I've noticed is the lightheaded/dizzy feeling - that seems to kick in for me well ahead of any other symptom.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
Burleys can clobber me if I'm not careful. GL Pease had a good tip in one of this Ask GL Pease columns. If you start feeling an ashy or burning sensation in your throat, that means that the smoke is particularly alkaline and more likely to deliver a heavier nicotine kick. For me, the major thing to watch out for is whether or not I've eaten. I also am trying to better about smoking smaller-bowled pipes for strong tobacco, and taking things slowly. Very little is more miserable than giving yourself the spins/sweats/yurks from smoking. When I smoked cigarettes, I liked strong tobacco rolled without a filter, and that didn't bother me, so I expect there's also just a question of building up (or losing) tolerance after a while, depending on the tobacco you smoke.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I just don't get those side effects - I guess I am a nicotine junky with too much tolerance. The only effects I have ever had were smoking some War Horse that Mr. Lowercase sent me which inspired me to recreated the blend as that ironed me out properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.