PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Hi,

As a relative newbie (well returning anyway!) can someone explain the functions of the different bits on the end of the stem, Dental, P-Lip, Standard, Fish Tail...etc - when ordering a new pipe I want to make sure I am ordering the correct mouthpiece for me. I sometimes 'clench; and sometimes allow the pipe to hang on in there!! :unsure:

Thanks,

Old Woodsman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I own only one P-lip and I do not like it. I find myself angling the pipe upward in order to get the stream of smoke where I’m accustomed.

That’s not to say you won’t like it. My curiosity demanded that I “try it” and I can tell you, it’s not for me.

The smoke is aimed at the roof of the mouth and I just find it strange.
D7643406-62B5-4048-91DD-7D7F587E30C3.jpeg
This old K&P is the only pipe I own with the P-lip. @Old_Woodsman, if you enjoy passing a pipe cleaner easily you can forget that too.

As for the other choices, it’s a matter of feel and your preference when clenching.

Personally, I like a classical tapered to a thin bit, and most all of my pipes are straight billiard. If it helps, I also enjoy the MM stock plastic bits and I smoke Burley Scraps.

Last edited:

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
There’s really no way to know without trying several different stem shapes. My personal favorite is the modern wide & thin P-lip from Peterson, but I can’t stand the older style P-lip that are thin and rounded.

The safest place to start if you can’t see them in person first is a wide/thin fishtail, as that seems to be most peoples preference (and the most popular for new pipes).

I‘m in the process of getting rid of all of my round and narrow stemmed pipes, P-lip & fishtail, because over time those have proven to be my least favorite by a wide margin. Your mileage may vary however.

Reactions: Grangerous

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Dental bit is made to rest on a tooth, I used one for a while, but it wasn't for me. I echo the above sentiment about the P-lip, not my thing.

I prefer a saddle or taper stem for comfort.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
There’s really no way to know without trying several different stem shapes. My personal favorite is the modern wide & thin P-lip from Peterson, but I can’t stand the older style P-lip that are thin and rounded.

The safest place to start if you can’t see them in person first is a wide/thin fishtail, as that seems to be most peoples preference (and the most popular for new pipes).

I‘m in the process of getting rid of all of my round and narrow stemmed pipes, P-lip & fishtail, because over time those have proven to be my least favorite by a wide margin. Your mileage may vary however.
I have only experienced the older kind, if you can confirm what you see pictured. — correct me if I’m mistaken, but it seems this type of stem lends itself to hanging from the lips and teeth rather than biting down on.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The orific bit, typically found on meerschaums, will by necessity be thicker and a little harder to clench. Some may find it a bit hotter on the tongue, since all of the smoke is directed through a single center hole. If you’re not a fan of the steck bit, or P-lip, and you do occasionally clench, I’d recommend a standard bit with a wide, narrow opening.

Reactions: Old_Woodsman

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Those haven't been widely produced since the early 1930s, and needn't be any thicker than a slotted stem.
My experience differs. They’ve been noted in books/catalogs from the 1960s on…and I’ve purchased several new pipes with orific bits myself over the last 20 years.

Nevertheless, wouldn’t they still be an option if someone is commissioning a pipe?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They’ve been noted in books/catalogs from the 1960s
Got any links or photos? Those were mostly abandoned by the 1920s for amber and the early '30s for bakelite.

Nevertheless, wouldn’t they still be an option if someone is commissioning a pipe?
With the improved airflow of the slot, it would be a bit of a step back, and artisans take pride in their slot work.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have one p-lip and while I find it to be preferable to the fishtail.... I find it preferable on such a minor level that it's pretty far down on the list of things that will make me buy one pipe over another. And the longer I use it the more it isn't thought about. The biggest advantage I've noticed is for me with blends that are more complex it's easier to pick apart the different little nuances. But just a tiny bit. I'll put it this way I don't notice that difference in day to day smoking but if I really want to figure out what's in a blend by disecting it in my mind... That is the pipe I will use for it.
If I have to make a recommendation though. I'll say go with the fishtail, while some people prefer other styles I haven't heard anyone complain about the basic most common style. Where the other ones people will regularly say doesn't work for me. The standard is a standard for a reason and that reason is it functions perfectly without any factor that may turn off a smoker. And frankly none of them are so so different. It is never a life changing thing. The smoker that only buys pipes with these or that bits is pretty rare. (other I only buy pipes like this are far more common).

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I have only experienced the older kind, if you can confirm what you see pictured. — correct me if I’m mistaken, but it seems this type of stem lends itself to hanging from the lips and teeth rather than biting down on.
It definitely looks like the older version that I don't care for. I couldn't understand the visceral dislike of P-lips when I first started really getting into pipes because I started with the newer version and couldn't see why anyone would have strong feelings about it. Then I got a couple of vintage Peterson's and completely understood why people didn't like them. If I had started with that stem I doubt I ever would have gotten into Peterson's.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think the change in the P-lip took place when Laudisi took over. I have both vulcanite and acrylic stems that all have that modern P-lip that I love. I struggle with TMJ, so an easy clenching pipe is pretty much the most important aspect of whether I will like a pipe or not.

I think it boils down to 2 things with the older stems that I don't like - first is the length of the stem, which is naturally going to cause the stem to tilt upward, and second is the round and narrow button, which makes it really hard to find a spot that is comfortable. The lone exception to vintage Peterson stems is the Dunmore System line, which had what was called the Comfort P-lip which I think is an even better shape than the modern one.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Got any links or photos? Those were mostly abandoned by the 1920s for amber and the early '30s for bakelite.
I was going from memory, but I’ll see what “authorities” I can find. (They were recently discussed on a PMRS episode, where Brian was asking the guest if he found any difference in smoking quality among the available range of bits. Either Fred Janusik or Rich Esserman, I think; from within the last six months, since I’ve been playing catch up.)

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hi,

As a relative newbie (well returning anyway!) can someone explain the functions of the different bits on the end of the stem, Dental, P-Lip, Standard, Fish Tail...etc - when ordering a new pipe I want to make sure I am ordering the correct mouthpiece for me. I sometimes 'clench; and sometimes allow the pipe to hang on in there!! :unsure:

Thanks,

Old Woodsman
Unless you’ve got false teeth I wouldn’t recommend the ‘dental’ stems, but that’s just me. You might like them! No correct/incorrect stems really, you’ll have to find what works best for you yourself, by trying them all.
I prefer plips on bent pipes but fishtail on my straights. I’m a permanent clencher when I smoke but we all clench differently. You’ll have to find out by trial & error, like everyone else.

Reactions: yanoJL

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
It is like his system that is used to adjust a wheel to the axis of a car. Each manufacturer will perfectly justify why they use their system, but ultimately they all fulfill the same function.

Reactions: rmbittner
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Dental bit is made to rest on a tooth, I used one for a while, but it wasn't for me. I echo the above sentiment about the P-lip, not my thing.

I prefer a saddle or taper stem for comfort.
Actually, the dental bit rested on the upper denture plate, since clamping down on the stem would, I suspect case some irritation.

Not meaning to come across as a Know All, BTW. 👍

Reactions: NomadOrb

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Got any links or photos?
I don’t have time to go through everything at the moment—and I don’t know if you’ll accept a 1965 publication as support—but the following pages are from Carl Weber’s The Pleasures of Pipe Smoking, published in 1965.

Attachments

• 4E1323ED-1E7C-4CB6-88FD-BBFAF2F02E13.jpeg
    4E1323ED-1E7C-4CB6-88FD-BBFAF2F02E13.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 5
  • F2E94D0B-1B26-4ECA-8E34-90BBE89C4068.jpeg
    F2E94D0B-1B26-4ECA-8E34-90BBE89C4068.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 5

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm in the smaller? crowd that really enjoys P-lip stems, but I haven't noticed big differences between them. I know I've got newer ones, one Dunmore, and possibly some of the older style but uncertain. Regardless, I enjoy them and the full bent style of Petersons fit both active and passive clenching times for me.

I had to try them to know. Some things just cannot be described well enough to count...

I've tried the version from Savinelli but don't prefer them quite as much. That flatter shape doesn't work quite as well for me.