New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
In the 1700's the "high society" meerschaum smokers would actually have others smoke their pipes when they couldn't, to continue to help them color. A beautifully colored meerschaum pipe was a status symbol back then. Just find someone to take over during your down time. ;)
On another forum, they're passing around a cracked and pitted briar to try to burn it out. Passing around a meer to give it some color strikes me as a nobler cause... ;)

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My lattice is colouring in the same kind of places, but it feels like it has been dormant in colouring for years, and also when I left it in the cab of the truck and in the sun, it kind of 'bleached' the colouring again. Maybe I should smoke it exclusively for a few months and see if it makes much difference.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My lattice is colouring in the same kind of places, but it feels like it has been dormant in colouring for years, and also when I left it in the cab of the truck and in the sun, it kind of 'bleached' the colouring again. Maybe I should smoke it exclusively for a few months and see if it makes much difference.
Yeah my first meer has lightened up a bit after I stopped smoking it. Constant smoking really helps ramp up the coloring.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Man it looks sooo similar to how mine is coloring. And it's the same company and they're both lattice. Only difference is that mine has had many more bowls put through it over a much, much longer period of time. Coloring is about the same though.

Reactions: didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Man it looks sooo similar to how mine is coloring. And it's the same company and they're both lattice. Only difference is that mine has had many more bowls put through it over a much, much longer period of time. Coloring is about the same though.
It's funny how they have their own "personality"

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never wax, I didn't and still don't like the "baby shit" brown color wax imparts.

I was careful to keep my hands clean and rarely handled the meer itself until it was well on the way to coloring. Whether that helps, I'm suspicous of. The pipe was not noticeably clad on the outer shell. My opinion is that, since the meers color from the inside, clean hands or cotton gloves/handerkerchiefs only keep the surface from getting oily and dirty. My meers are generally cake free if I pay attention to cleaning. Yes, it was a pure white, brand new CAO. My oldest, if memory serves, which it certainly may not.

Please remember . . . I'm only writing anecdotally.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have another meer, my favorite, from around the same time which refuses to color at a decent rate. In my opinion it is neigh impossible to project how a meer will color. The infusion of the tobacco lees is simply impossible to foretell. The only caution I offer is, that the lighter (weight) it is new, the better chance there is of a more even and less mottled coloring. Again that is purely anecdotal based on the five meers (too few to form a substantial opinion) I smoke regularly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Well my friends, It saddens me to say that I'm ending this thread here. I recently finally quit smoking cigarettes, and have been having some breathing issues as of lately. I'm on the mend now, but I haven't even smoked this pipe in almost 3 weeks now. I think this will just be for the best. I'm not quitting the pipe, but will be smoking much less than I used to.

The pipe has been a fantastic performer, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try one out.

2 failed Meer years! :poop:

Here's the final pic. 181 bowls, in 6 months of smoking.

PXL_20230717_153451569.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230717_153501055.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230717_153509501.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanks to everyone who followed along.
I finished a year with a cob, and a briar, but Now I need a Successor to show me up for a year!