PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
In general, I find them rich and creamy and can be STRONG depending on the blend.

They say it's the Working Man's tobacco but I disagree. Burleys are in almost every single blend out there.

There are some nice blends out there like Briar Fox, Old Joe Krantz and one of my favorites, Stonehaven
Def concur here. Like a lot of people I *started* on the overcased drugstore aros & manned it on through till I received advice from an actual tobacconist. I switched to cube cut burleys & also branched out to Englishes & other more natural stuff. Burleys are ok but there are so many blends out there with it that they all became "favorites" in their own way. Burley alone, not a specific choice I make any more, no.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't care for straight Burleys or anything with white Burley. I tried Solani Aged Burley Flake and really wanted to like it as I do enjoy 660 Silver Flake and 633 but couldn't get into it. Next try was Wessex Burley Slices, same thing, they just tasted weird.

I wanted to love Reiner Long Golden Flake as it is thee prettiest wrap around flake on the market, has Perique is a Virginia flake, but that damn white burley gives it a weird flavor and I gave up after aging it 5 years.
I smoke a variety of Vaburs like Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, Peterson Irish Flake, University Flake, 3P's, Solani 660, Stonehaven, GL Pease Navigator, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Savinelli Dobloned'Oro, and I am probably forgetting a couple.

Reactions: ak2000 and jpmcwjr

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Meh.

Ms Cleo is foreseeing a sale of most of my burley's in the future.

I do like Solani Silver. I dont get any weirdness from Reiner and like it quite a bit. I like Sav D'oro quite a bit. But I'm with you and almost all the Burleys you mentioned. They don't hit the sweet spot for me.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
After a few months I discovered I liked blends with plenty of burley. Have some Irish Flake coming shortly.
I found the new Irish Flake (STG produced) a bit of a disappointment compared to the older K&K version. I’ve heard the older version is still produced as Rattray’s Stirling Flake.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I found the new Irish Flake (STG produced) a bit of a disappointment compared to the older K&K version. I’ve heard the older version is still produced as Rattray’s Stirling Flake.
Hopefully the tin will arrive today. I don’t smoke a lot of flakes so that will be a novelty and I am sure it will be different to my normal OJK go to.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Now, where are my aromatics?
Probably in the same place you put your taste buds ?
Hopefully the tin will arrive today. I don’t smoke a lot of flakes so that will be a novelty and I am sure it will be different to my normal OJK go to.
It is very different from OJK. It’s not a bad smoke. Don’t let me turn you off of it. It is just quite a bit different from the old version in my opinion. I like the old version better. The new version tastes like Erinmore Flake but with some DFK added, and much more lightly topped than Erinmore. Take a whiff of the tin note when you get it. There’s a light Erinmore-style topping now. That wasn’t there before. The nic is noticeably lighter as well. I’ll finish my tin, but I’ll probably order the Rattray product next time.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Probably in the same place you put your taste buds ?

It is very different from OJK. It’s not a bad smoke. Don’t let me turn you off of it. It is just quite a bit different from the old version in my opinion. I like the old version better. The new version tastes like Erinmore Flake but with some DFK added, and much more lightly topped than Erinmore. Take a whiff of the tin note when you get it. There’s a light Erinmore-style topping now. That wasn’t there before. The nic is noticeably lighter as well. I’ll finish my tin, but I’ll probably order the Rattray product next time.
Haven’t managed to find the time to smoke it but the tin note is great.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I liked burleys and KY dark fired right from the start. Then again, I also loved lat bombs immediately. Could be my diminished sense of smell—I just can’t taste subtle or mild blends. I don’t think I’ve tried a C&D burley I didn’t like, but really like HB & OJK. I do think folks who don’t like the strong burley taste should try things like Mac Baren’s Golden Extra, Symphony, etc. MB burleys are *much* less in-your-face.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I didn't care for it much from the start and it hasn't really been acquired either. I like a couple of burley dominant blends but overall, not my preferred genre.

Same. Likewise, not a fan of dominant DFK, but like latakia & perique, if sprinkled among VA’s, as a condiment, I find them enjoyable. Otherwise, i prefer mine cased.

The only exception is Five Brothers, go figure.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I think that if you are not enjoying a blend that has been favorably rated that it is your palette that requires 'training'.
Sure, there are some exceptions, as there will be whenever. ( I use the editorial 'you' and 'your' above.)

No amount of palate training is going to get me to like English blends that taste like I’m licking a firefighter’s armpit after a 8-alarm fire, or cigars that taste like gas station egg salad.

Thing is, having a trained palate doesn’t determine if you enjoy a blend or not. All it does is give you the ability to detect and discriminate between nuances or pick out certain notes. I liked the tobaccos I started out with even though I couldn’t pick out much in the way of nuance at the time—I just knew some were tasty, and some were thoroughly disagreeable. The difference for me now is that I can point out WHY I dislike things, as opposed to a simple “Yuck.”

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I pretty much liked Burley blends from the beginning. Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Scottie's Butternut Burley to start and within a few months I had moved on to Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz. Loved them all. After laying off pipe tobacco for a about a decade I decided to spend my covid time rediscovering all my jarred blends and buying some new ones. I find I still really like most Burley tobacco. But having smoked quite a bit of Haunted Bookshop this summer, I see where you're coming from. Not loving it in 2020 like I did in 2008. But for some reason I'm loving Butternut Burley a whole lot more. Tastes change. Don't force it.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
My first smoke was Carter Hall, but once i discovered English and VA blends, burley took a back seat. It just seemed so bland.

10 years later, I try some OJK, decide to quit cigarettes, and now? I love straight burley. 5Bros, especially!

Status
Not open for further replies.