PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I loved the first barrel aged iteration and so I bought 7 tins of the second. I have found the tin note a bit off putting , but I don't have a lot of experience with dark fired tobaccos and this may be the reason. Because of the summer heat and humidity I have yet to smoke a bowl. However, i enjoy reading the reviews of others and there is a relative dearth of reviews. I also note that it hasn't sold out quickly like the first did. Did it bomb? Like it...hate it?

Reactions: Snow Hill

piberyger

Lurker
May 2, 2018
I just opened a tin this morning and had my first bowl. The tin note is distinctly sour. I don't think McClelland ever did a dark fired, but what immediatly came to mind was the vinegar of a McClelland Virginia with the earthiness of DFK. The smoke was pretty complex. I got a bit of spice that I associate with Orientals. Don't know where that came from. The nicotene hit caught me off guard and knocked me on my butt. The DFK was on the bitter side. I think the HH Old Dark Fired is creamy. This had none of the creaminess that I associate with ODF. I smoked it in a unfinished Country Gentleman cob.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I loved the first barrel aged iteration and so I bought 7 tins of the second. I have found the tin note a bit off putting , but I don't have a lot of experience with dark fired tobaccos and this may be the reason. Because of the summer heat and humidity I have yet to smoke a bowl. However, i enjoy reading the reviews of others and there is a relative dearth of reviews. I also note that it hasn't sold out quickly like the first did. Did it bomb? Like it...hate it?
good chance they realized they could have made more of number 1 so probably made more of number 2.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
I just opened a tin this morning and had my first bowl. The tin note is distinctly sour. I don't think McClelland ever did a dark fired, but what immediatly came to mind was the vinegar of a McClelland Virginia with the earthiness of DFK. The smoke was pretty complex. I got a bit of spice that I associate with Orientals. Don't know where that came from. The nicotene hit caught me off guard and knocked me on my butt. The DFK was on the bitter side. I think the HH Old Dark Fired is creamy. This had none of the creaminess that I associate with ODF. I smoked it in a unfinished Country Gentleman cob.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts / first impressions of the blend, @piberyger.

Status
Not open for further replies.