PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A few days ago I did a quick inventory of the pipes I have around this joint. Decided I have entirely to many and finally made up my mind to "clean house". So far,after going through my shop I came up with these. They have all been sold to one buyer. I also went through my parts.pieces and stems and will be throwing that stuff in the boxes.

I plan to make further cuts,both in the shop and those I have sitting in racks elsewhere.
I actually feel good about this and hope the new owner will make something of them, as I doubt I would have ever gotten around to them.
pipe-lots-for-sale-2015-08-31-013-800x450-600x337.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Wow, that's the easy way. One buyer. Nice.

There's just something about getting rid of basically clutter (not using) that feels right sometimes.

Mar 1, 2014
That picture makes me happy.

As of this week I've just reached the limitations of being able to count all of my Briar with my hands and toes.
I have also cleared out similar assortments of hobby items before, and it does feel good.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. My wife said there meant to be smoked if not by me then by someone else.
I look at it a bit differently I suppose. I have smokers and I have a collection. I keep 20-25 in rotation,rotating a few in or out now and then. The "collection" pipes seldom,if ever,get smoked.
Cleaning house? You weren't kidding! I hope you kept a few for yourself.
Those on that table represent about 25% of what I have around here. I'd like to get down to around 200,including my smokers.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I have about 80 pipes.....plan is to stop buying at 100

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I continually cull to stay below my goal of :? 20 pipes. I haven't been below 20 in years.

Mar 1, 2014
James, if you don't mind my asking, can we see some of the rest?
Right now I'm wondering if what's on the table represents the average or the outlier.

Have straight shanks and Billiards grown out of favor or are these just a small portion of the representation of those shapes in your collection?
It would be very interesting to hear your thoughts on deciding what to cull.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
FCW, although I have not updated the photos of my collection in a while, you can see more of what I have here -- http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/
Mods-- if my posting that link is a problem please remove this post.
As you will see,most of my collection is Grabows. There's some I no longer have,some new that I haven't posted pics of. I do have one Dunhill and one Sav.! :lol:

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Is that a cob tamper in your tamper gallery James? That thing looks amazing!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes,it it a cob. I bought some small cobs from Bob of the Old Dominion Pipe Co. That tip unscrews and there is a SS pick inside the tamper.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I like the tampers. Are you turning the steel for the screw together part? I see a nut in one pic but wondering about the part that screws into it? I know lamp parts will work not sure what else.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I buy SS 1/4"X 20 TPI threaded inserts from McMaster--Carr. The male threaded parts start out a brass bolts I get at my local hardware store. Cut the head off,drill a 9/64" through them for the pick. Some tampers require a tube inside for reinforcing. For those I drill and tap a piece of aluminum rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.