PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Looking at the line up of Planta, i see that Germains Blends are listed. Has Planta always made these Germains blends? or is this new?
http://www.planta-tabak.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Sortiment-2018-19_Pfeifentabak.pdf

Oct 7, 2016
Planta has made a few blends under license from Germains for years. I believe they have rights to distribute others in Germany, perhaps elsewhere. The link does not work for me, but I have seen versions of their catalog that, if you blow up the illustrations, can be made large enough to show the country of origin. That is accurate. And to confuse matters, I believe Mixture No. 7, which in my opinion shouldn't be made anywhere, has been made in both Germany and the Jersey Islands.
The more interesting question to me is how much, if any, leaf each might process for the other.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
So Medium, Brown, and Special Latakia Flake, are not made by Germains? Im totally confused, those are the top 3 tier Germain Blends. The Planta line up, shows they make those blends for Germains, not just distribute.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Probably created by Germains, but manufactured by Planta. Much like all of the blends manufactured by Sutliff such as a lot of the Hearth and Home blends.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, but the confusing part is that Germains does blend and manufacture. Hearth & Home does not. Its weird that the top tier Germain products is, or is now, or always was a Planta product, with completly different source leaf then Germains factory.

Oct 7, 2016
@steambiat, if you look at tins of the blends you mentioned, imported by Arango, available in North American shops, those all bear a Jersey origin statement and they are made there by Germains. Planta makes their owh versions for distribution in Germany and perhaps elsewhere in the world, but not for the North American market. At any given moment, the same blend could be made in both places. Just look at the origin statement which is required by law both in the EU and the US. This sort of thing is fairly common in the industry.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
I would love to know how the Planta Version compares or differs from Germains version. Has anybody smoked them side by side?

Oct 7, 2016
I have smoked No.7 made both places, but separated in time. They were equally foul. Number 7 is very popular in Germany, I hear.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
My friend contacted Planta and they got back to him. The verdict is, No.7 and Celebration are manufactured in both Jersey Isles and in Germany. The three flakes special, brown, and latakia are only made at Germaines factory, and Planta imports them into Germany to distribute.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I can't help noticing the weird way Germans catalog tobaccos, as in "Aromatic" "Mild" "Spicy". Ok, aromatic is aromatic, but how am I supposed to guess what the others mean? Spicy is something containing latakia, but medium could be a straight Virginia or a va/per as well, and "fruity" could also be straight Virginia, but also va/bur. I had the same issue with another german, vendor this time, that Paul has recommended. It took me a while to find various tobaccos under these 'weird' labels on his website.

Status
Not open for further replies.