48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Put said tin in sauce pot and boiled it for a half hour. Still stuck on, some discoloration of late, but not much.

Said tin top is Capstan Ready Rubbed, blue label.
There needs to be a confused emoticon response, maybe one that looks like...
Wut GIF - Friends Joey Tribbiani Matt Le Blanc - Discover & Share GIFs

Reactions: kcghost

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Simply trying to recreate the OP's situation to solve the mystery. So far, a simple fail. And I think I'm done.

OTOH, how the hell do you get the labels off without destroying them?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Simply trying to recreate the OP's situation to solve the mystery. So far, a simple fail. And I think I'm done.

OTOH, how the hell do you get the labels off without destroying them?
I'd presume you can remove a tobacco label similar to a label on a beer bottle. Although I haven't tried and have no current interest in collecting either.

The cliff notes versions is soaking in liquid and carefully remove, then weight the label while drying.

The purpose is to save room with a scrap book or "photo" album instead of having a stash of bottles that tumble (and to avoid "the nag").

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Not like a beer bottle's paste-on label at all. The labels are much thicker, and stuck on real good.
Old thread, but I just read that if you apply a little heat to the back of the lid to soften, the stickers come off more easily.

I haven't tried and am doubtful, but figured I'd share. If you have some time on your hands, please let us know if/how it works.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In the midst of a move I erroneously put part of my tobacco cellar, comprising my most prized tins, inside of a non temperature controlled storage unit for 5 weeks. I've recovered the box and all of the tins labels are slightly warped, indicating a high temperature inside the unit. The ambient high temps were in the low 80s to low 70s during that time.

Is my cellar ruined?
Probably not. You may have sped up the "aging" process a little.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and logs

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I put all open blends I don't like, or that taste too young, in a small mason jar, with a little extra hydration, and put them in the trunk of my work car.

After a year of that they come out like ketchupy fermented goodness.

With 100+ temps common enough in the heart of summer, that trunk gets very very warm.

You're fine op.

WordDragon

Lurker
Aug 15, 2022
Vietnam
I put all open blends I don't like, or that taste too young, in a small mason jar, with a little extra hydration, and put them in the trunk of my work car.

After a year of that they come out like ketchupy fermented goodness.

With 100+ temps common enough in the heart of summer, that trunk gets very very warm.

You're fine op.
What do you do for extra hydration? And 100 degree aging? Whoa

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I think you should put them in the for sale thread as stoved (insert blend name) and and ask double the regular market value.
Barrels of sherry used to be shipped halfway around the globe as ballast to accelerate their aging.
On their return to Europe, the contents were bottled, proudly labelled as "East India Sherry" (indicating it had travelled past the Equator and back) and sold at a premium.

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Suggest that you do a little research on the subject of "stoving tobacco". Odds are if their not aromatics the they will probably come out better for the experience.

Reactions: anotherbob

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
The court hereby finds you guilty of involuntary manslaughter. If you transfer possession of the little corpses to the court, which is me, consider it time served.

All joking aside, I don’t have enough experience to offer a serious response to your or anyone else’s questions about tobacco related conondrums.