Did Anglin Bros Escape Alcatraz In 1962?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone see the program Monday night? I missed it; trying to see if it comes online somewhere.
http://nypost.com/2015/10/12/this-photo-could-finally-crack-a-notorious-alcatraz-cold-case/

Jun 4, 2014
I came upon the show by chance, I watched right up to the point where they exhumed the body of the brother who died while attempting an escape from another prison and promptly fell asleep. When I woke they where talking about the Jersey Devil.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I saw that or a similar documentary some years ago. Also the movie with Clint Eastwood (wasn't it?). The escape is plausible, but so is drowning and disappearing at sea. The real trick after a successful escape would have been creating a new identity and remaining undetected for life. That would probably require some close coordination with the outside before the escape, while still investing tremendous energy getting out. And having the helpers maintain absolute secrecy. Again, not impossible, but a rare circumstance. I've visited Alcatraz and it is a pretty stark piece of rock with nasty currents and (I understand) seriously cold water. The wind is pretty oppressive even on a pleasant day and must be deadly in bad weather at night. Developers have coveted it, perhaps, but it's not a pleasant location, pretty harsh.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Want to contribute some info I heard on a documentary years ago. Can't remember the name of the show but two new players must be introduced before I go any further. One was Clarence Carnes,, a Native American doing life for taking part in a robbery where his partner committed murder. The other is Bumpy Johnson, the former Godfather of Black Harlem. Both were serving time in Alcatraz when the Anglins made their escape.
According to Carnes, Johnson, knowing that just one escape would most likely result in the shut down of the prison due to the expense of running it, arranged for a boat to be waiting in the middle of the Bay on the night the Anglins escaped. There were newspaper reports that quoted witnesses seeing a boat sitting in the bay that night with no lights. After sitting there for some time, the boat was turned on and headed down the coast.
Carnes stated in an interview that was shown in the documentary that Johnson later told him that he had received news that the packages had been picked up and delivered safely.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Alcatraz: Search for the Truth" is available to stream online @ History.com. I have the app downloaded but not quite sure what you have to do to "sign in". If someone figures that out let everyone know. It will be available for streaming until Nov 17th.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I think we have to agree they got out of the prison. Most likely they perished in the water, though. I have a hard time believing that if the escape was truly successful that no one has talked by this late date.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It is always a deep mystery to know how much credibility to put in what hardened convicts say, partly because their problems of character are what land them in the really bad prisons, and partly because they hone their skills misleading people most of the time, both for manipulation and for sport. But the boat pick-up sounds creditable whether true or not. Had there been a boat, and had it been able to intercept swimmers with no lights on either the boat or the swimmers (ever been involved in a sea search for a person in a life jacket??? Big lights required and many passes.) the boat might have done the trick. But it could easily be a fib from someone who had never spent any time on the water. Also, prisoners would have invested a lot of hope in hearing that someone had escaped and survived. Unless someone finds a paper trail of documents and some DNA evidence and such, I'm of the "we'll never know" school. It's really a tempting mystery, like Emilia Earhart's plane.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Actually, I heard it from a guy that knew a guy that had a dog that they were actually picked up by Emelia Earhart and were flying around the world. Her plane crashed when a fight broke out between her , her navigator and the Anglin brothers over whether or not MacBaren's latest tobacco had a casing to it or not.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Having lived close by SF Bay and sailed her for many years, I agree with Tom and Warren. And I say,

"Where's the beef!" as in DNA evidence, or anything at all besides a photo allegedly of the two. Girl friends, family? Letters to be opened upon their death?
Damn, that water is cold!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The photo was definitely taken in Brazil unless there is some other country with anthills as big as boulder rocks. The photo was in the possession of the Anglin family given to them a long time ago by a friend of the brothers who was also an ex con. Facial recognition software will most likely be able to determine if it is the Anglin brothers or not.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Its like the DB Cooper mystery. We will never really know."
Not true.
I have a friend who uses the alias DBCOOPER as part of his email address. I strongly suspect that he's the real deal, as he's quite generous and carefree... and he professes a dislike for airplane rides, which would stand to reason after what he did.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I did watch the show. And according to the info, based on what seems to be evidence provided by family members, they escaped and lived in S. America. A childhood friend supplied the boat that hauled them away.
I'm not say'in it's true. I'm just say'in!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
have a friend who uses the alias DBCOOPER as part of his email address. I strongly suspect that he's the real deal, as he's quite generous and carefree... and he professes a dislike for airplane rides, which would stand to reason after what he did.
I understand he was the first guy placed on the "Do Not Fly" list.....

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If facial recognition software makes any kind of a match then someone will have to determine if the two brothers in the photo are still alive. The Anglin Bros could still be alive but they would be in their 80's. Law Enforcement probably doesn't care. They probably just wish the whole thing would just go away. At least we know now the bones that washed up in the bay didn't belong to the Anglins. If anyone follows thru & takes this any further it will probably be a private researcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.