PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey folks,

Might any of you have tips that may assist me in developing my palate? I would like to grow and pick up certain nuances in the tobaccos that I smoke.
Lately I have been reading reviews of what I am about to smoke on Tobacco Reviews and then trying to pick up what was described in the review.

Also, what might be a good resource to tap into if I am looking to understand the different types of tobaccos that are used to make pipe tobaccos?

Regards,
Francis

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Tobacco reviews is a good place to start. I have found that having a few different blends to switch between, especially if some of them contain the same types of tobacco can help you discern what each of those types tastes like.

Also trying the same blend with different pipes, packing technique, and different levels of dryness of the tobacco can highlight different flavour profiles. Adjusting your cadence as you smoke a bowl can show you different flavours as well.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'd try to sample some of the base tobaccos on their own, so straight unflavoured: VA, Burley, dark fired, Oriental. Then combinations with condiments, Perique and Latakia, although both are so distinctive that you can't miss them. Then some base tobacco combinations, like VaBur to figure out what each contributes to a blend.

That's what I did and now can pick them out, made my smoking a lot more enjoyable.

Reactions: rushx9

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
It took me a couple of months to develop a taste for the various flavours. Started with aromatics and they almost put me off pipe smoking. 18 months later tried another aro and still hate them. Latakia is ok as a small percentage. You have to try a wide range to appreciate all the flavours and then zone in on your preferences. Have fun it’s a journey.

Reactions: waznyf

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Train your tongue. When developing your palate, the goal is to be able to pick out and appreciate specific flavors and nuances. The best way to do that is to experience those flavors in their natural state, then look for them in your smoke. Be sure to smell them as well, since much of your sense of taste is derived from olfactory sensations. Taste dry coco powder, then dark chocolate, then milk chocolate, then smoke a burley blend and see how it compares. Sample various citrus fruits and compare them to bright Virginias. Sniff some fresh cut grass and hay and see how that factors in. Sample red fruits and stewed fruits and compare to red Virginias. Try some dried figs, raisins and prunes and compare to perique. Smell some baking spices and pepper as well. Literally pick up a big scoop of freshly dug earth and smell it hard. When you smell, don't gently smell, but sniff the scent up into your sinuses. It should be an audible sniff. If you've never tasted marzipan, you can never pick out marzipan. Same with guava or lychee. Smell and note the difference between fresh and dried flowers. Look for that dried flower scent in oriental forward blends. Taste some good grassy butter and hard cheeses. Sniff some aromatic hardwoods and incense woods like Paolo Santo or Sandalwood. Smell a barbecue grill, a campfire, a sooty fireplace, and even a tire/garbage fire and contemplate the differences next time you smoke latakia.
This may seem like a strange approach, but it works with beer, wine, liquors, and fine food, and it works with pipe smoke as well.
If you develop your palate enough and develop the necessary vocabulary to express what you sense, who knows maybe one day you could become a beloved and prolific reviewer the likes of @jiminks ! If that's not your goal, you can at least feel competent in your own assessments and sharing them conversationally. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Do you actively retrohale when smoking? You will be surprised that many of these 'flavors' people are picking up are really coming through on the retrohale. Doing this is like going from watching t.v. in black and white to high definition.

Reactions: waznyf and seanv
Status
Not open for further replies.