PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I don't really know what to do with this information, but I agree that I too have never thought about the person behind this.
In general, it seems to me that the more popular/mainstream something is, the less we think about the efforts and people behind it.

May he rest in peace.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
"I don't really know what to do with this information.... "

I'm sure you'll think of something.

Regards,

Jay.?

Wasn't meant in a disrespectful way - these days one hears about so many tragic events, sometimes multiple within hours, it seems difficult to process them all and to grasp their full scope. You read something like this in a newspaper and instinctively think "Oh, that's a shame" and two articles later you read about two-thirds of a family wiped out by COVID or a car accident. I don't know if it's a protective mechanism but I am sometimes at a loss as to what to do with so much tragedy - surely others have felt the same. I feel the more tragedy one is confronted with, the less the individual event is paid tribute or thought (unfortunately). Didn't mean to step on any toes here.

Reactions: seanv

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Didn't mean to step on any toes here."

Be assured chum, no toes were stepped on. My post was meant to be humorous but clearly it passed you by.

No problems, I'll be more careful in future ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: Ryszard

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Graphic design work is kind of thankless. People don't seem to realize how much work it actually involves and how severe the restrictions an artist works under designing logos. Seriously try designing a logo for something sometime and a good one, one that sticks in peoples minds and expresses why that product is "better".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brilliant guy and a great loss. The documentary about him is as good as a semester course in industrial design and commercial art. He wanted to make life more beautiful for millions, not just a few wealthy folks, and he did it. When I consider the design of factory pipes, I always think of his philosophy, though I don't think he did anything with tobacco pipes. His principles apply completely. What a great guy, an exemplary life.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Graphic design work is kind of thankless."

Bob, this is very true. Some years ago the BBC (I think) did a short documentary about the now iconic 'Tube Map' or the map of the London Underground Railway system.

Then you have the stunning work of the Ordnance Survey Department in their map making endeavours here in the U.K.

Graphic design is all around us, we just don't see it!

Regards,

Jay.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Glaser's students are everywhere in design. He taught for many years too, so his influence is far reaching. Although he was famous and central to the industrial design and arts community, celebrity was of little consequence to him, it seemed. Or maybe he had just the right amount of fame and was wise enough not to bother with any more. Hearing him tell about his thinking on various projects gives you a feel for how deep his thought processes went. He designed the I (heart) NY graphic in the back of a taxi in minutes, but after a life devoted to visualizing graphics that stuck in peoples' brains forever. His art was as much of thought as of graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.