PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At my tooth cleaning yesterday (which I will not post on youTube) an ancient root canal crown, molar, popped off from decay. It was about 30 years old. I knew it was no longer a permanent item, but had been biding my time. So in the near future, off to the dentist who can take out the root tips, and also the jagged little point that catches at my tongue. A pipe hiatus for me, maybe my cue to clean the collection, the pipes not the teeth, though I work on those too. Eventually, I'll see what I can get for the gold crown. Meanwhile, my wife is getting a dental splint for sleep apnea. A great year for dentists, from us to them. Invest in dental supplies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I am empathetic. A broken crown in December, than an abscess due to a fractured root on another crowned tooth which is over 25 years old. After a complete exam, consults with an endodontist, periodontist, orthodontist and oral surgeon, I need the tooth pulled, bone graft, implant post and tooth replacement, two crowns replaced (both very old) and another crown due to a cracked tooth that will fail so I may as well fix it now.
Hence my recent tobacco sale.
All of them said the same thing, no pipes for awhile once work starts next week. Getting older has its costs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, zito, you've had a lot of dental issues all at once. I hope everything gets done as needed with minimal discomfort. I have to go back to my general dentistry doc this p.m and have a burr filed off the gap where the crown was, and I see the oral surgeon next month to get the "root points" removed. Old teeth. Yup, pipes and dental work don't go together; one at a time.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
October,November, and December I had a series of 7 lower teeth removed. Two Crowned molars failed at the root. Long story short I got a lower plate for Christmas. Yes gettin old sucks.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Best to you on your work and recovery; I just finished replacing 2 front teeth w/implants. About a full year no piping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Went back to my regular dentist and had the burr that bugged me, from where the crown broke out, filed down. No more jabbing at the tongue. The root tips come out mid/late February. My wife and I joke that after a certain age it is fiscally irresponsible to have teeth. But you have to eat. If there's a take-home lesson from this part of the episode, I'd say, when the dentist asks you how it feels when he's completed a procedure, don't get optimistic and forbearing, be fussy, critical minded, and entirely honest and take a minute; it will save you both time from your having to go back. My doc didn't charge me but included it with yesterday's bill.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
mso and zito,

Hope things get fixed smoothly and without pain with your dental issues.

My wife is a hygienist and my son will start dental school in July.

I personally hate going to the dentist...My wife knows I am a big chicken! 8O

frcy03

Lurker
Aug 18, 2019
I also have some dental issues and now thinking to visit the dentist Redondo Beach and I am hoping strongly that I don’t have any serious issues because I am literally very scared of the dental equipments. I will also start getting regular dental cleaning services from now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd forgotten some of the detail on my dental woes. A friend jokes that after a certain age, it is fiscally irresponsible to have teeth. But you have to eat! With old teeth, it is often something.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Definitely not any fun, that's for sure. I laid my pipes down when I had to have all mine (teeth) extracted for full plastic in my mid-40s 20 years ago & was out of the habit till a couple of years back. Not something you want to play with, no. Genetics for my dad (a dentist) & me. Luck to you, Tom! I'll try to double down for you in the interim. :)
B

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
If you are a budget, look at Costa Rica for dental tourism. It's way cheaper, and it is a hellova a lot better than Colorado dentists. My wife had serious headaches 5 different dentists and oral surgeons here attributed to 3 molars that needed replacement. She went down there to do it $1200/tooth, instead of $6000/tooth here. 5 dentists in one office consulted with her at one time, and they decided it was just a bunch of old filings and ill-fitting crowns. They corrected it all for $900, and she has been great ever since. I went with her the next time, and it was the nicest, most advanced dentist office I've ever seen. Avenida Escazu Mall area in San Jose.
It's a no brainer. $300 plane trip. Do yourself a favor and head to Pacific side to Los Suenos for some awesome Sail, tuna, and mahi. They say from october thru december, you will just get tired of hauling in mahi. Like 30 per day. Go with a plan to freeze and ship some home. We went in March on a full moon (bad time to fish). I got a 9' sail, and all 3 kids caught a yellowfin ranging from 20 to 50 lbs. Lordy, we had more tuna slabs than we knew what to do with. 1-ft seas all the time. We went on the sorriest boat in the marina for $1200. You don't have to spend a ton of money. It's awesome!
When I go back, we are going on one of the 4-day trips. You won't regret it.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, crowns & root canal & associated stuff will definitely eat a hole in the wallet stateside. Susan's looking at months of work for hers. :(
B

Status
Not open for further replies.