PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I smoke outside and regularly have lighter flame that touches the rim of my pipe. With the idea of protecting the finish I decided to try Decatur pipe wax, which is available now that Halcyon and Paragon appear to be unavailable.

Decatur is very good. Instructions are to leave the wax on the pipe for 5 to 10 minutes, but I find that applying a light coat with a Q-tip and leaving it on for 20 to 30 minutes before buffing it works much better. That may be because the relatively high humidity of around 60% to 70% and 80 to 90 degree temperatures I've had here this summer.

It does soften when exposed to flame, but that's OK. It doesn't take much effort to re-apply.

So, my after-smoke rim cleaning routine is to rub some saliva around the rim, let it work for a minute, then wipe it off. Then apply a thin film of Decatur wax, let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes, then buff it off.

Some of my pipes have scorching and charring on the rim, so they can't be helped with the wax.

Using the Decatur or similar wax is not a long-term experience for me. I just started doing it about six months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Why are you charring the rim of your pipe?? It almost sounds like you are using a torch rather than something appropriate.

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Why are you charring the rim of your pipe?? It almost sounds like you are using a torch rather than something appropriate.
The ones I have (lightly) charred are charred mostly because of the angle at which I lit the pipe. After seeing the damage I started lighting my pipes so that the pipe is level rather than at a downward sloping angle. Today, I am more concerned with the flame of a lighter used outdoors. It flickers over and touches the rim when there is some wind. I use soft flame butane lighters, mostly the Peterson lighter or the BIC EZ Reach.

My scorched rims exhibit a pattern of burning that you will see on a lot of used pipes. The rim nearest to the smoker's nose is darkened. Fortunately I learned from the error of my ways.

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Another tip is leave a little room when you load the bowl. 1/8th inch or even more so the flame goes in the bowl not around the rim.
Good idea. I usually fill the bowl 2/3 to 3/4 full. That's my habit not so much to protect the pipe, but because I like to keep my smoking down to 30 to 40 minutes per session.