PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I some times smoke "a little" fast. Cadence has been a learned skill. Different pipes and different tobaccos have their own requirements.

A couple of pipes have identified themselves as intolerant of accelerated cadence and I have had to comply with their needs to enjoy them.

For instance, my one morta, a thin walled, almost stack configuration won't tolerate anything beyond sipping, so I work to always pair it with tobaccos with similar requirements.

Other pipes are happy to endure a bit more speed or heat. It's not necessarily brand, shape or material specific, either. Two "twins" can have divergent characteristics.

Working it all out is part of the fun, in my opinion. If you need a "cadence training aid" get yourself a one pound bag of Daughters & Ryan and don't give up until you can get 45 minutes out of a medium bowl.

On that note, moisture is the biggest variable under your control. If you've not tried it yet, REALLY dry out some tobacco beyond what you feel is necessary. Like a whole day. See how that impacts your experience.

I've been "relearning" this with my recent Tawny Flake experience.

View attachment 19588
45 minutes out of a medium bowled pipe you say? Heck, I've never even gotten more than 20 minutes out of my Hungarians. :LOL:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I too would be skeptical that any other marshmallows were actually in the building...
The_cake_is_a_lie.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm a fast puffer but I don't encounter any heat or moisture issues because I rarely smoke a larger bowl from start to finish. I'll smoke 1/3rd of a bowl, put it down then relight, smoke the next 1/3rd, put it down to finish it later.

In smaller bowls I'll smoke the entire bowl without problems. Most of them have reasonably thick bowl walls.

Falcon pipes with a dry ring are really good for a dry smoke as is my Reverse Calabash.
9mm charcoal filters work really well also.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
A LARGE GOURD CALABASH IS YOUR BEST FRIEND
SMOKE HARD
SMOKE FAST

ALL DAY
ALL NIGHT

NO RESTING
IT WILL NOT FAIL
EVER.

• Wow
Reactions: rushx9

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am not very smart and so sadly, this is what has forced me to focus on getting it right more than anything. Though I must admit that a fair bit of determination has been mixed in there as well.
I have to admit that for years I thought a bit of bite was just part of smoking a pipe. In fact that didn't change until I got a zippo and learned you don't put a bic flame right into the tobacco you angle it so it gets close but doesn't touch. Wish I would have known that earlier.

Reactions: trubka2

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I am not very smart and so sadly, this is what has forced me to focus on getting it right more than anything. Though I must admit that a fair bit of determination has been mixed in there as well.

Don't feel bad. When I start vaping, I thought a bottom feed vape system was supposed to be used as a suppository. Man, that was embarrassing but when combined with a taco lunch made for some pretty impressive smoke ring tricks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You need to learn how to have a good cadence. I only charge 100 bucks to show you the perfect cadence it is money well spent.

Seriously I make sure every pipe I own has some decent wall thickness. I will not buy thin walled pipes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
For me, I've gotten some of the thickest walled pipes to smoke hot to the touch. However once I have a nice cake built up, (nickle sized minimum for me) it goes away completely. It isn't untill I ream the cake away, that it gets hot again .

I smoke fast. Just how I am.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You need to learn how to have a good cadence. I only charge 100 bucks to show you the perfect cadence it is money well spent.

Seriously I make sure every pipe I own has some decent wall thickness. I will not buy thin walled pipes.

Cadence-schmadence. For fifty bucks I'll teach you how to dry tobacco to perfection.

Seriously, now, folks, while I appreciate a solid wall on a pipe, thickness is no big thing. Except in another arena, not to be discussed directly.