PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Going to be road tripping next week from DC to Michigan via I70-I76 up through PA to Ohio then into Michigan. Picking up a piece of furniture in Commerce. Any shops along the way that are recommended? Not in any kind of rush and will be staying somewhere maybe around Toledo for a night as the person I"m picking up from has to do it in the morning. G1

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well,there's Paul's in Flint, which is a bit out of your way. There's also Maison Edwards in downtown Ann Arbor, and Campbell's in East Lansing, which is also a bit out of your way. All three are old line smoke shops. :puffy:

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I have heard good things about Smoker's Haven in Columbus. There is also a Tinder Box in Dublin, OH.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Maison Edwards: a decent tobacco selection but not alot of pipes to look at

Smoker's Haven: used to be great but now it is a waste of time, last trip I took it was literally an empty room with boxes of stuff, looked like the guy was going OOB

Churchill's both locations in West Bloomfield and Birmingham MI has some great Petersons and Stanwells and a great tobacco selection. Since Commerce is kinda near those two, I'd check em out

Campbells: basically a cigar shop with some good tobaccos and a small cabinet of estate pipes and some new ones

There are a bunch of nice cigar & pipe shops in Toledo, but I havent been that way in a while

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Carousel Tobacco shop near Cincinnati is supposed to be pretty decent. Someone here posted pix of the shop, it sure looked inviting. Have a safe trip!
http://www.cigarfamily.com/info/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=280&Itemid=

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
+1 on smokers haven, theres a timba cigar and pipe in powell whch is owmed by a great older gentleman that i enjoy going to and just hanging out with

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the info so far guys. I'm heading up towards Pittsburgh, around Cleveland catching I80/90, then over towards Toledo so won't be near Cincinnati unfortunately. Mentioned Toledo as it looks like its about an hour away from Commerce and since I need to pick up the piece in the morning, I figure stay away from the Detroit area. Would like to find a place nearby wherever I end up staying the night to relax with a bowl or two. G1

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
As Adam12 pointed out, a lot of the old line tobacconists are mostly cigar places now to survive. Campbell's in East Lansing, which I mentioned, is a mere shadow of what it used to be for pipe tobacco.
Paul's in Flint probably has the best selection of pipe stuff these days. Parking is a lot easier to deal with than EL or AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.