PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Has anyone had this and what are your thoughts. I bought a tin and I’m thinking a bout stashing it in the basement. I’m trying to start collecting (cellaring) as you guys say to let it age. I’ve also got and unopened tin of Peterson Night Cap which I’m having an extremely hard time not opening. It very well may not make it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Has anyone had this and what are your thoughts. I bought a tin and I’m thinking a bout stashing it in the basement. I’m trying to start collecting (cellaring) as you guys say to let it age. I’ve also got and unopened tin of Peterson Night Cap which I’m having an extremely hard time not opening. It very well may not make it.
Danish mixture is a good one. Smoke it if you want there’s plenty more! Just let it dry fairly well.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I’ll pop it open this weekend. Another question is once you open a tin you can’t really age it without drying it out correct?

As mentioned above, there really is no benefit in aging aromatics but on the other hand, it doesn't really hurt them.
Things might get a little more mellow but it will still be very fine. I bought some McClelland aromatics (POUNDS of it! (from @BROBS puffy )) with some age on them and they are terrific!

Generally, I will Mason jar my bulks and leave the tins in situ. I always vacuum seal the tins as an added measure to keep the integrity of the tin seal intact. It's an inexpensive measure one can take to ensure long term storage. If I open a tin and decide that it should go back in the "cellar" I will just stick it in a Mason jar and put it back. No harm, no foul!

As long as you maintain general cleanliness and good hygiene while handling/storing your tobaccos, they should be able to store for a very long time. I fully intend to be smoking some of the stuff I have put away 30 years from now,

Reactions: BROBS and dcon

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I open the tin, have a bowl, and stick the rest in a jar. The jar will keep for decades. If I like it, I get more tins and leave then unopened in a bin.

Reactions: BROBS

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I’ll have to pick some up. After seeing some tobacco collections on here I’m afraid of what will happen to all my fun money.

Reactions: beargreasediet
Status
Not open for further replies.