PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

I've spent many years collecting Danish and Old British pipes, but every now and then I branch out. I've had an idea for a pipe I would like for sometime now, something out of the norm; but who to ask to have a go at making it for me?
I've been following David Enrique's work for a long time and getting more and more impressed. So much so that I felt he was the perfect choice for what I had in mind. But, would he consider it?
For a while I've wanted an Eskimo, but always shied away as they seem fairly impractical. I wanted something a little less stylised that Eltang's Eskimo - something that veered more towards the squat-bulldog (one of my favourite shapes) hidden in the Eskimo. So I approached David to see if he was game to give it a go for me. To my surprise, he was. We chatted via email and I told him my ideas and left the rest to him.
David is a very patient man and gently answered my, "Is it ready yet?" emails with good humour. So I sat, and I waited, getting more and more excited as time passed until I was fit to pop. Then, just as I thought I couldn't hold it in any longer an email arrived letting me know my pipe was ready, with links to pictures. When I opened them I drew breath and then whistled softly. This is what I beheld:
eskimotanshell1.jpg

eskimotanshell2.jpg

eskimotanshell3.jpg

eskimotanshell4.jpg

eskimotanshell5.jpg

eskimotanshell6.jpg

eskimotanshell7.jpg

eskimotanshell8.jpg

eskimotanshell9.jpg

For the stats fiends amongst you:
Weight : 39 grs

Length : 133mm

Chamber diameter : 22mm

Height : 30mm

Chamber depth : 25mm

Airway diameter : 4mm

Handmade stem from German cumberland rod

Tan sandblasted finish
Now I wait for the slow-boat-to-China postal service here to deliver it to my door, and when it arrives, I will be cracking open a well aged tin of tobacco to christen it.
All I can say is, Thank You, David. You greatly exceeded my expectations - your creation is exceptionally beautiful and I will, I know, spend many happy years with this pipe.
David is an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to work with (actually, I just gave a few requirements and he did all the rest). I will definitely be acquiring one of his Accord pipes in the near future.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Marvelous! The grain is remarkable. The whole thing is remarkable!
Thank you for sharing.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I like it and I usually don't like the Eskimo shape. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Congrats on that one Klause!! :clap:

I could stare at the picture of the bottom of the bowl for hours........ in fact I keep going back for another look! Incredible!! Enjoy that one, and good to see you posting again- you always have some great pipes to share!........... :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Awesome pipe and it's nice to see buzz about his pipes. I think he's fallen off the radar a bit but he's out there still making obviously beautiful pipes at a decent price. I can see the Eskimo inspiration here, but it reminds me a little more of the Cavicchi UFO, but with an oval shank. Hard to get a sense of the scale in photo's.
I have an eskimo the trick is to hold it like a a brandy snifter. It lends a graceful élan to the smoking experience. It helps to wear an ascot...

K

klause

Thanks for the comments gents.
Michael, Sam, your comments made me laugh out loud - cheers. You really set the day off to a great start.
Cossack, you can almost smell the yeasty goodness when you look at that grain - I love your description of the grain.
Bigpond, now that I have it in hand I'll dig out the cravat and smoking jacket - I appreciate the pointers on how to properly deal with this HUGE sexy Eskimo. You're right; David does make beautiful pipes, and how he can do what he does and sell them for the price he does is a wonder to me. He should be on everyone's shopping list - no doubt.
The reality is that this is actually a rather small pipe, though perfectly formed - and, the pictures really do not do it justice ( I know, I know - everyone says that - but, it's a cliche 'cos it's true). The most impressive thing though is the button and slot work - my eyes literally glazed over and my jaw dropped when I finally paid it attention. I've never seen work quite like it - staggeringly beautiful, and verging on utter perfection.
Matt, good to be back - albeit intermittently.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Lovely pipe klause...enjoy!
The Eskimo is a shape I would like to put in my pipe cabinet as well when the right one comes along. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.