PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
David Wagner - when I hit the forum search I do not get many results so maybe there are a few people out there that find an introduction interesting. Unfortunately he's pausing making pipes at the moment, but every now and then some of his pipes show up on the estate market.

He's an Austrian guy that he calls himself "Pfeifenschneider" - which is a pun that only works in German, because "Schneider" means both "someone who cuts something" and the profession of tailor, so it can mean "pipe cutter" or "pipe tailor". And that fits his lifestyle which is minimalistic as well as his pipes - rustic shapes, but splendid craftsmanship. They are sold under the brand name "baff", a German colloquial term for "astonished", and the logo on the stem is a questionmark.

After years of looking out I managed to get my hands on a reasonably priced baff, a large rusticated Bent with a Cumberland stem.

IMG_0327.jpeg

Austrian TV station Servus TV has made a piece about him, even if you don't understand German it's nice to see how he lives and (used to) work.