PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I've had this since my first order, which was in June of this year.
The pouch note here (I say "pouch" because it arrived in a locking plastic baggy, so it's technically accurate) is quite pleasant. It reminds me of opening a pack of [insert brand name] non-menthol cigarettes, but without the sweetness. Just a light, airy presence.
This stuff was dry as a bone in the desert in a 5-year drought when I first received it. I'm not sure if it became more moist due to ambient humidity in this area, because it still feels dry but crumbles to dust less often as I handle it.
It packs about as well as one might expect, but with one quality which doesn't make sense-- it actually stays springy even after packing it tightly, but that also means that I no longer pack it to the top. The charring light grows cinders in similar fashion to a snake (if you are familiar with fireworks, you just light a pellet on fire and it expands like crazy). This is the exact quality which prevents me from lighting in the wind anymore. It blows everywhere, and because Central California is in that aforementioned drought, risking a property fire is not something for which I wish to take responsibility.
If you tend to like spicy food, this is your source for a good palate kick. It's a very dry smoke, but this also makes for a shorter session, as it tends to burn a bit faster, sort of like Prince Albert. I happen to like smoking this straight, but it makes for a nice condiment for those weak aromatics (Captain Black, I'm looking at you).
Nicotine content? Priceless. You see, I smoked cigarettes for 9 years. Upon quitting in 2012, I didn't touch a single tobacco product for, say, a year. When my uncle passed away, my brother and I shared a cigar to celebrate his life, our fondest memories, and above all, his tendency to be quite comical, even during some darker days. But when the cigars were finished and put out, I didn't feel a craving to smoke again. A few months later, I picked up cigars. Ignorant to the resourceful internet to search for nicotine bombs, I picked up a Joya de Nicaragua during a vacation. I reeled for quite a few hours afterwards. Picayune didn't get me THAT sick, but my eyes opened to the possibility that, if I could have a nicotine bomb from a cigar, why not pipe tobaccos? So, Picayune, in all of its bold and spicy body, does have quite a punch for nicotine content, but not really enough to spin me around. Still, it does have its place in relaxation techniques for Pipe Yoga.
Flavor-wise, I'm not sure what I'm tasting. Just a spicy tobacco...
It's just spicy. I wouldn't recommend to a beginner to retrohale this. I did it my first puff, and by golly, my nose itched like crazy and I had what might appear to have been a bitter beer face for a few minutes. Talk about a punch to the face!
4.5 stars. I like it by itself, sure; but this makes for an excellent booster for aromatics just as well, or a kicker for lesser nicotine blends to make that full body really give you a full body slam (sometimes, a full-bodied cigar doesn't have the stomach-wrenching qualities you'd find in Joya de Nicaragua (Diesel, that's you)), or at the very least, make a delicious blend amp up. I tend to think this is well-rounded and could be applied to any other blend, but that, friends, is that ignorance of which I'd written earlier.
Purchased at Pipes & Cigars' website.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Good review... I love this blend and totally agree about the spiciness and good nic hit! Its a great blend for the pipe smoker who is looking for a bit of a "hit".

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Bump. I'd like to hear more about this blend. I'm also looking at Rimboche S.J. by the same company.

Jul 21, 2015
i love this stuff! it is just fantastic for its potency. I got mine in the tin and the humidity was perfect. Even love it more in a cigarette.
I have been avoiding BULK D&R from pipes and Cigars, the last 2lbs i got from them was so dry and shakey that I promptly sent it back.... only to recieve the same back. I would be okay with the humidity if it wasnt complete shake.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I would be okay with the humidity if it wasnt complete shake.
Thanks for the word of warning/reminder. I haven't had any kind of luck when ordering bulk through them.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
D&R ships it dry on purpose.

They (D&R) want the customer to get the most for their money.

Why pay for water?

You can search for the older Pipes Radio Show where Brian interviews the owner of D&R and listen to him explain it himself.

#goodtip #getyourmoneysworth #dandrisgoodstuff

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Yes their blends are on the dry side but the smoke great and it doesn't affect the blend any. Its also pretty affordable. My local B&M sells tins for right around 5 bucks. Hard to beat really.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That review was really helpful for me. I was looking at Picayune, couldn't decide whether to buy or not, and then it went into backorder/out of stock status. Shows me the foolishness of pausing.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I finished the rest of my ounce, so next month I'm probably going to grab more from whomever has it available at that time. It's great, but as some have mentioned, it's dry as can be. Then again, I'm going to purity when it comes to non-aromatics, and as zekest stated, moisture is probably best left to others. I would really like to have an abundance of Picayune.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
BUMP! I wonder if the D&R tobaccos, which are purposely shipped 'dry' compare to the Semois products?

I just listened to the first radio interview Brian Levine had with Mark Ryan.

I keep looking for good quality tobacco at a 'favorable' price but I've been leery of D&R blends because of my impression that they are meant for RYO cigs.

Perhaps I should experiment with some of D&R's offerings after all?

I've got bulk bag of perique and I swear that I'll get more. I find it mellows my burleys as well as adding flavor.

I know that TR has a lot of people who post RYO reviews of DR blends, but they make horrible RYO blends, IMO, unless you have someThing to shred it. It's all way too course a cut cut, IMO. But, as for a pipe tobacco, it's all good. I haven't had a bad one yet. Picayune is one that the tins don't last me very long. I tend to chain smoke it when I pop them. Great flavor, but as in the OP, it does burn faster.

It's about like buying C&D bulk, as far as dryness, maybe a tad dryer. I like to steam the bulk a tad before canning. I think it helps the aging process. I popped a three year old jar of Picayune SJ a few weeks ago, and it was completely black and the edgy heat was gone. The jar lasted me three days. I had to make myself slow down.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
While it is true that there are a few D&R blends that could double for RYO, the majority of them are not designed for that purpose. Three Sails, which doubles for both, is one of my favorite D&R blends, and I've only smoked it in a pipe. VIP is only sold in a tin, but it's a very tasty VaPer, as are S.J. Rimboche and A.P. Rimboche, which are sold in tins and bags.
Here's my reviews of the ones I have tried in case anybody has not seen them. Mark Ryan uses only top quality tobacco, and his prices are good.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-dampr-reviews

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
This has piqued my interest, since I'm always on the lookout for stout, bracing blends. Thanks for the review.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Many of their offerings are quite suitable for dual purposes. For my tastes, the Ryback and Three Sails, which come in shag cuts, are excellent rolled or tubed. The dryness generally isn't an issue for me when I buy them in the tin or bag, but when I order loose ounces bulk, it absolutely has been a problem. As mentioned, it can be half dust by the time it makes it's way to me. The only times I buy loose bulk now are when I want to sample a new blend, or if I am using it as a condiment added to another blend. In the bag, I find it arrives perfectly moist for smoking, but even if you prefer more moisture, it is easy to rehydrate, and the ribbons are more intact from the bag or tin.
As for the Picayune, I only smoked that rolled, and inhaled, and it was too strong for me. I'm transitioning away from cigarettes though, so it holds new interest for me as a high-octane pipe blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.