PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Daughters & Ryan: LONDON DOCK
Finally, I was able to experience a so-called: Cherry Aromatic Pipe Tobacco, that actually delivered on the age-old and worm-out promise that so many other pipe tobaccos of this classification make - but fail to deliver on - except for the delivery of burning hot air that tastes like you are smoking one of those hanging, tree-shaped, Cherry air-freshers for your car - NOT SO, with Daughters & Ryan London Dock!
Upon cracking open the tin, I was immediately greeted by a delightful array of promising smells of all manner and olfactory colors; that, along with a distinctive "cherry and something" note being most forward in the opening presentation - more on that "something" later on.
My initial thoughts of: "Oh here we go again, this is going to be another one of those goopy messes, that tastes like hot cherry-chemical-flavored air, burns my tongue, and will put more stinking ghosts in my pipe than appear in the entire M.R. James short-story collection." were unfounded.
In fact, those initial thoughts were wholly unfounded.
London Dock had a perfect moisture-level, and packed perfectly into my taste-testing pipe - Old Faithful #1 - a Missouri Meerschaum: Legend, straight-stem.
London Dock took to light easily, and fired right up! I was immediately hit with a wonderfully balanced buffet of a variety of fruity flavors; again, with the distinctive "Cherry and Something" being the leader of the pack.
MMmmm, very good; in fact, very, very good.
While I tried to puzzle-out exactly what the "Something-flavor" was, I determined - thankfully - that it was decidedly not Amaretto or Almond - a taste I do not care for at all. And, if in the actual recipe for this mixture, there is indeed Amaretto used by the Blender, it is so well-balanced into the mix, that it does not play on the tongue as such to me.
As I continued to pull and puff-away, pondering what the "something" was, I toyed back-and-forth over the idea of the presence of Vanilla. Now, Vanilla may very well be present in the recipe, but again, it was not specifically playing-out that way to me.
Then like a bolt of lightning cast from the hand of Odin, it suddenly stuck me - Coconut! Cherries and Coconut!
Now, I love the smell of Coconut tanning lotion broiling in the summer sun, and Coconut shampoo in the steamy air of a hot shower; and the taste my palate was detecting was that exact same type of Coconut, but instead of merely smelling it, I could taste it!
While there may be no Coconut present in the mixture - and perhaps what I was experiencing was nothing more than the by-product of the interplay of the Cherry, Vanilla, and what-have-you in the actual recipe - that's exactly what I tasted mixed with the Cherry flavor.
And it was good!
I always know when I am really enjoying and bonding with a new-to-me tabak mixture, as I get a sudden and strong urge to drink coffee while smoking it - and I am primarily a tea-drinker! So, it was into the car - my favorite place to smoke anyway - and off the 24 Hour Convince Store, for a big 20oz coffee to pair with what was remaining in my bowl of London Dock.
I also know I really enjoyed London Dock more than I initially expected, because I cursed myself for not bringing the tin with me, as I had more than half my coffee left when I came to the finish of the bowl as I sat otherwise quietly in the car, peacefully sipping and puffing-away in harmonious bliss.
Now, one thing I must say about London Dock before I close:
I always immediately "clear" Old-Faithful #1 with two bowls of Five Brothers - which is the greatest "Exorcist" known to pipedom - after I smoke something new or potent out of her; however, upon finishing the first clearing-bowl of Five Brothers, I was still tasting the Cherry of London Dock hanging around and making its presence known. I still have yet to smoke the second "clearing bowl" of Five Brothers, as I am all smoked-out for now, so I cannot say exactly how strong the Ghosts of London Dock will exhibit its poltergeistly-presence for.
I highly encourage you to give London Dock a try for three reasons: 1) If you already are a Cherry Aromatic smoker; or, 2) If like me, you have always liked the concept of a Cherry-flavored pipe tobacco, but found the reality of the standard offerings available too chemical-tasting or too brutal to handle; or, 3)The idea of Cherries and Coconut - if your palate also interprets it that way - in your pipe sounds like a delicious desert smoke to you.
So far, all my experiences with Daughters & Ryan tabaks have been amazing, and I feel Mark Ryan may soon be hailed and numbered as one of the great Supermen-of-Tobacco.
And again, I would urge you to try Daughters & Ryan's London Dock, but with your existing dedicated Cherry-tabak pipe, or, with a pipe - like my "Old Faithful #1" - which is specifically dedicated to such exploratory investigations in the event of the unfortunate possibility of permanent imprinting. I have faith she will "clear" after the second bowl of Five Brothers does its thing; and if not, she'll become a designated "desert pipe" awaiting more delicious London Dock in the future. - Sherm Natman
daughters_and_ryan_london_dock.jpg

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Very interesting. It's been a while, but I don't remember getting cherry from it....

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
PipeHunter - Sounds like it's time for you to re-visit London Dock, and see what you experience. - Sherm Natman
Cortez - Thanks for your kind words. To answer your question, as I usually smoke Non-Aro's, tabaks which are sweet-tasting to me, I call them: Dessert Tabaks. - Sherm Natman

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Sherm - I became a London Dock fan in February when I tried the Daughters & Ryan version for the first time. There were several of us trying it at a pipe club meeting we we all got the cherry and vanilla aroma/taste. A couple of us even picked up the light rum notes. I don't remember any of us thinking coconut though. I have finished my first tin - bought that night - and have a second tin.
I asked Mark Ryan about London Dock and he said the flavors come from the rum and courmarin topping. The original London Dock had both deer tongue and rose essence in it.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I always remember dessert having two S’s... “strawberry shortcake” Stupid I know but it works.
And damn if I haven’t completely given up on cherry aros. Even Cult BRM has a weird chemical taste to me. Now I have to try this for sure.
Thanks Sherm. As usual, very well written. Keep em comin please.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
PappyMac - That makes sense, as Vanilla and Rum combined with Cherry might very well cause me to think of Coconut; as in a Pina-Colada. Yes, the more I think about what you are saying, Cherry/Pina Colada hits the flavor description closer to the mark than Cherry and Coconut. Good clarification; thanks! - Sherm Natman
PanHandler - You're very kind to say so, thank you; will do. - Sherm Natman

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Oh and coconut tanning oil brings back very vivid memories of oily, fragrant, very attractive women! Thanks for that.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Also interesting is TR mentions cherry exactly zero times in the description.
“Daughter & Ryan's London Dock is a blend of double-toasted Burley, Virginia, Oriental, and Perique, topped with rum and coumarin, making for toasty, earthy, slightly sweet smoke with just a hint of spice and fig.”
“Notes: Mark Ryan wrote: London Dock contains double toasted burley, Virginia, Oriental and perique tobacco. It's topped with rum and coumarin flavors. The original formula had deer tongue, which is replaced by coumarin, something several manufacturers do. However, the Original London Dock used rose essence which is not used any longer by blenders due to its unpopularity.”
Still going to try it though based on your review. I’m kinda drifting back to aros, but quality, semi-aros and this does sound intriguing.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
PanHandler - All I can say is I experienced mostly a Cherry and ____ taste forward. So maybe it's just the way my palate interprets that blend. Maybe I need to re-wire my tongue; who knows! LOL! Either way, it was a good flavorful smoke. Let us know what you experience. - Sherm Natman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like D&R Two Timer, two toasted barleys blend. And I think it gets better with time. Not sure I'd go for London Dock since I'm not much of a cherry flavor guy, but it does sound responsibly tobacco forward, always a recommendation for an aromatic.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, I’m definitely intrigued by the description and am now curious if I can pull a cherry flavor from it too as I would enjoy that. Will report back with my experience.
And Embers likes it... so there’s that too!
Also been wanting to try Two Timer as I’m also a burleyphile. Thanks for the reminder mso.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Embers has me happily puffing through a pouch of Mixture No. 79, so anything can happen.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Embers - I never understood the hate for Mixture #79 either; but there it is like an institution. It's just like how PappaMac and I get Cherry from London Dock; and yet, you and PipeHunter do not. Everyone experiences taste differently. - Sherm Natman
PanHandler - Yes, I found D&R's Two-Timer (Twice Toasted Burley) excellent. It was my first exposure to D&R, and now I have 21 of their mixtures in my house. - Sherm Natman
dndr_first_order-450x600.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I’m smoking my way through a tin of D&R Athey at the moment. I’ve also had all three of their Raccoon blends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Embers - I never understood the hate for Mixture #79 either; but there it is like an institution. It's just like how PappaMac and I get Cherry from London Dock; and yet, you and PipeHunter do not. Everyone experiences taste differently. - Sherm Natman
My wife says London Dock burning is like an aroma therapy candle. Indeed, the pipe I smoke it in has a bit of a candle note.

Status
Not open for further replies.