PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
When did they make these? I'm sure the info is out there somewhere, but I couldn't find anything in a search of the forums, and there is so much into out there about Peterson's in general that I could read for hours and never find anything relevant. I'm sure one of you know the answer to this.
Mine's shaped just like my 314 system standard, with a rusticated finish and a sterling band.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
If it is sterling silver it will be hallmarked - third mark will date it.
Peterson made the rusticated (called "Tawny") in the '70s / early '80s.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
FullSizeRender.jpg

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I'm not actually sure, but I'm guessing it's African. Smokes great. My first bowl with it last night and I smoked the same blend I'd had the night before in one of my briars. There was more nuance to the flavor. Things that I could smell in the tobacco in the jar but couldn't taste when I smoked it in other pipes. I'm really happy with it. Might be my new favorite pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I dated a Peterson once... when I went to put in a fresh pinch, she slapped me.
You have to treat the Peterson gals with a slow but steady approach. Too sudden and they'll withdraw, but once you get her stoked up, good things will come.
Now I'd like to work in something about stingers from the thread on bees and baccy, but brain hurts too much.....

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I just received a pile of pipe related booklets/pamphlets from ebay. One is title "A New Leaf for Peterson's of Dublin" It goes on to say pipemakers since 1878 then 90 years young. The math puts this at 1968 for when the "Calcined Block Meerschaum", as they are called in the pamphlet, began to be offered.
I thought someone might want to know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.