PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Everything about the shape, the stem, little details like the blast carrying to the shank, looks authentic to my eyes. EDIT: the only thing I'm unconvinced on is the texture itself, I'd like more pics, but that side of the pipe showing looks more like really top grade rusticating than blast work.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Ok, I'm going to go with the Blatter connection. 56 DUNHIL SHELL CANADIAN PATENT 2, based on a little interpolation of what I can see, a very faint N above the first A in CANADIAN, and again a very faint HE above the second N in CANADIAN and a 2 . So, my guess would be...1942.

And just because, from John Loring,

Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 15-42-23 File D27-B-s-56 jpg - Pipedia.png

File:D27-B-s-56.jpg - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/File:D27-B-s-56.jpg

Last edited:

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Well I ended up winning it. I was the only bidder. I talked the seller down to minimal shipping as I didn’t want the stand, just the pipes. Here’s the listing so you can see it was hidden in there.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Well I ended up winning it. I was the only bidder. I talked the seller down to minimal shipping as I didn’t want the stand, just the pipes. Here’s the listing so you can see it was hidden in there.

You won all of those for $99? What a bargain.

That's a 24 pipe stand. With a light sand and a quick slap of varnish you could easily get $100 for it judging by what much smaller stands sell for.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
You won all of those for $99? What a bargain.

That's a 24 pipe stand. With a light sand and a quick slap of varnish you could easily get $100 for it judging by what much smaller stands sell for.
I actually won the lot for 99 but I didn’t want to pay 80-90 shipping that was posted. So I told the seller I didn’t want the stand (talked to them before I bid) and only paid $14 shipping. Ao, just the pipes. I think they are going to repost the stand…. I have way too many stands and usually give em away to a local antique store.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great eBay eye! That table pipe would have been interesting to see the brand.
Post the Dunhill when she arrives and you get her restored! It looks like an easy restoration.

Reactions: bayareabriar

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Great eBay eye! That table pipe would have been interesting to see the brand.
Post the Dunhill when she arrives and you get her restored! It looks like an easy restoration.
I got the pipes last night. The table pipe has like a bark finish? Needs a new hose/mouthpiece. Has felt on the bottom probably covering the logo.
a few pipes were from the 1930s (Dunhill and the comoys bar logo) and none were older than early 70s. So it’s in that 30 year window… lol. Should narrow it down. If it’s something you collect or want to restore, shoot me you address and I’ll send you the table pipe. I was going to put it in a lot of junkers to sell.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I got the pipes last night. The table pipe has like a bark finish? Needs a new hose/mouthpiece. Has felt on the bottom probably covering the logo.
a few pipes were from the 1930s (Dunhill and the comoys bar logo) and none were older than early 70s. So it’s in that 30 year window… lol. Should narrow it down. If it’s something you collect or want to restore, shoot me you address and I’ll send you the table pipe. I was going to put it in a lot of junkers to sell.
I appreciate the offer, I was just curious. Hose is somewhat easy to replace, Steve Laug restored one on Reborn PIpes, detailed there.

Reactions: bayareabriar

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Apropos the title of this thread -

Every time I read it, I have to suppress a chortle at the image of a tanned, muscled Alfred Dunhill (pipe in mouth, of course) in a pair of "budgie smugglers" at the beach being propositioned by a bevy of English sirens ?