PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've been researching dash cams and watching YouTube video from dash cams, for weeks. I just pulled the trigger on one finally, and I don't want to go into what brand you think is best, I would just like to hear about your experiences with your dash cams, if you have them.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Oooh. I have also thought about one of those.

Curious to hear what the thoughts are.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have often thought "Damn, I wish I had a dashcam" when something really stupid or amazing happens while I'm driving. Like the boat that came off of the trailer being hauled in front of me that flew over my car and hit the semi behind me. Or the load of cinderblocks that fell off a mason's pickup and f'd up the underside of my car.
But then I think that dashcam could be used against me, too. I'm not a slow driver, and if I ever get pulled over, I don't need the cop seeing the dashcam and getting a search warrant for my vehicle.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
From watching YouTube, I've seen a lot of ways a dash cam can protect you. Accidents, road rage, tickets, and more. I've never seen a video of someone being served a search warrant for their video, and I have watch a LOT of video on this.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The fact that you see them on YouTube probably means that they were used in a police or insurance investigation.
Russian dashcams are addictive.

I'm gonna go grab a beer and watch "Russian Babes Winter Demolition Derby"

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
:rofl: He's right. I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as drivers education in Russia...or maybe women aren't allowed to take the class? My favorite videos are the ones that show a car going down the road with a gas pump handle and hose dragging on the road. It happens in all countries, where women drive.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
From what I've seen it's far worse in China...it's Death Race 2000 every day over there.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I just got back from Israel. We drove all over the country. Interesting place. Drivers randomly sway in and out of lanes, no signals, but are not overly aggressive or malicious while they are doing it. Generally considerate, but not overly encumbered by any unnatural desires to adhere to traffic safety regulations. I also never saw an accident or a car pulled over by a cop. I did have a cop shake his finger at me when I passed him.
Didn't have a dashcam, that I knew of.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
My son is a police officer and he says that there are very few police vehicles still in service in our country that do not have dash cams. In addition, most police officers also have a microphone pinned to them. So, even when he stops someone to tell them a tail light is out, everything is recorded on video and audio. He says that if he was in charge, every vehicle in the USA would have a dash cam as that would eliminate tons of investigating and "he said, she said" situations.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Reminds me of this gem I saw a few months ago....
Anger Management On The Go
jay-roger.jpg

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
We had dash-cams in our vehicles at work. They were set up for insurance, mostly because we did a lot of off road work checking municipal water sources. Some of the places we’d take these trucks were pretty incredible and dangerous. Other than that there was not a lot to see except lots of country road.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I bought a few of them from Groupon a while back. They don’t last long in the Texas heat, maybe a couple of months in the summer. The one accident that I was involved in where it would have helped, the bastard did not work.... I did catch my manager in a lie at work on one and took him and the video to personnel because he denied an action that he did and accused me of another action in the parking lot on our electronic safety system at work. The video saved my a$$ and got him in trouble.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Russian dashcams are addictive.
Oh, Russian dashcams. The reason of them being too much is insurance scams are really popular in Russia and if someone drives in reverse and hits you in front, and claims that you hit him from back, you won't have a single fact to prove yourself right. Even if you have, nobody will listen to you.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I heard these are mandatory in Russia in order to get full car insurance

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Is that why there are so many Russian YouTube videos? It seems hard to believe that you would have to have a dash cam to get full coverage insurance, but in Russia anything could happen.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
:) Javan would know better than me :)

He lives closer to the place of events :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I don't think that they are mandatory. People just use them to prevent fraudsters to act like a victim.
http://animalnewyork.com/2012/russian-dashcam/

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Stan, it will probably happen here, as well. At first it will be a discount, then a requirement. Eventually, the cam will stream live, along with all of your car's telemetry data. You'll get warnings when you exceed the speed limit, or run stop signs. Then they'll drop coverage. Wait for it. There will even be smoke alarms in cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.