PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
wkay, so this afternoon I decided to bite the bullet and do some cleaning on my pipes. I got to my basket pipe that I have dedicated to Ennerdale Flake, and I go to take the stem off and BAM! The stem broke off at the tenon, with the tenon still stuck in the mortise. Oh well, cheap pipe so I guess I can't expect much, and I admit that I may have been a little over zealous while pulling the stem. Pics below. Don't know anything to do besides just throw it out. What say you?2020-04-14 15.15.10.jpg2020-04-14 15.15.55.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Any idea about how much it'd run? I'm not opposed to fixing it, the pipe smokes like a champ, but I'm only 30 dollars down for it.
Looks like $20-$30.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
wkay, so this afternoon I decided to bite the bullet and do some cleaning on my pipes. I got to my basket pipe that I have dedicated to Ennerdale Flake, and I go to take the stem off and BAM! The stem broke off at the tenon, with the tenon still stuck in the mortise. Oh well, cheap pipe so I guess I can't expect much, and I admit that I may have been a little over zealous while pulling the stem. Pics below. Don't know anything to do besides just throw it out. What say you?View attachment 26495View attachment 26497
Probably cost you more than the pipe did. I think the appraiser might call it totaled, haha. If ennerdale is your preference, I’d just use the $20 it would take to repair and buy 4 new cobs, hahaha.

If the pipe is sentimental though, the above suggestions are great options for repair.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whoa! When I wrote that I was literally thinking about apples and cans.

None of the sink faucets in my dorm my freshman year had screens left in them...
When my brother was a teenager he told out mother that the round holes in her screen door were from rats. She believed him. Never smoked it myself, but even I knew what was going on.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’d try to remove the tenon from the mortise with a small screw and vice grips. See where you’re at from that point. You may be able to glue the tenon back on... insert it... then never remove it again? Not sure it would hold.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You could try a bolt extractor. If successful, you might be able to glue the stem back together after removal. You might make things worse if you're too heavy handed though.

If you don't have an extraction kit in your tool box already:

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
wkay, so this afternoon I decided to bite the bullet and do some cleaning on my pipes. I got to my basket pipe that I have dedicated to Ennerdale Flake, and I go to take the stem off and BAM! The stem broke off at the tenon, with the tenon still stuck in the mortise. Oh well, cheap pipe so I guess I can't expect much, and I admit that I may have been a little over zealous while pulling the stem. Pics below. Don't know anything to do besides just throw it out. What say you?View attachment 26495View attachment 26497
Send it to www.canerodpipes.com .

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
UPDATE: I managed to get the tenon from the mortise with a pair of needle nose pliers. Now I suppose I need to look for some glue or some other adhesive to re-attach the tenon to the stem. What do you guys think, would super glue be a bad choice?2020-04-15 14.03.09.jpg2020-04-15 14.04.17.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.