PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I’m not sure of the impact it would have on the material, but a friend accidentally left his meer on his dash board over the weekend and the sun leeched all of the colour off the exposed side, so it’s gone back to white. Kinda looks like 2 face

This supports what I was saying about gravity and meerschaum coloring, adding the element of heat, which makes the trapped oils and tars more viscous and therefore more readily migrate to the lowest point.

"2 face" is a nice analogy. The antique meers I earlier referred to had a clear vertical line down the middle of the stummel, one half relatively pale and the other half darker.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
My Meerschaum pipes tend to color in that area first also. I guess I would attribute that to the area of the material in the shank being thinner so the tars and oils permeate through it more readily. I suspect the medium itself, being a natural material, isn't consistent throughout, so some areas show color more rapidly than others also.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm really liking the post 2015 IMPs.
It must be kind of hit & miss, because I have one IMP that I purchased new a couple of years ago, and it soured me on them because of the restricted draw. I've had a few other meers with the same problem...I took a drill to the straight ones.

It's one reason I like Bakis...wider airway. And it's why I like the 9mm Altinays...before seeing them, I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a filter meer. The spigots too are more open than standard meers. If I ever do get another IMP I'll probably get a 9mm or maybe a reverse calabash.

Status
Not open for further replies.