PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Gravity plays a role in meerschaum coloring. The moisture, oil, tar, etc. will settle in the lowest point, to a degree, which is why I don't leave them lying on their sides for long periods of time. I've seen a couple of antique meerschaums that had clearly been left on their sides for a long time. This might take decades though.

Also, unless I'm wrong, wouldn't that be the in the area of the pipe generating the most turbulence in the airflow (besides the tenon/mortise), therefore more of the good stuff gets trapped there?

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Gravity plays a role in meerschaum coloring. The moisture, oil, tar, etc. will settle in the lowest point, to a degree, which is why I don't leave them lying on their sides for long periods of time. I've seen a couple of antique meerschaums that had clearly been left on their sides for a long time. This might take decades though.

Also, unless I'm wrong, wouldn't that be the in the area of the pipe generating the most turbulence in the airflow (besides the tenon/mortise), therefore more of the good stuff gets trapped there?

Sounds like I need to toss mine in the rod dryer after every smoke to really even things out?

Status
Not open for further replies.