PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
First, what leaf is usually used for fire curing? Is it burley? Does it vary?

I recently got a bulk OZ of HH Old Dark Fired and I am burning through it quickly. Love it. I got a few non-aro samples to learn more about flavors. The DFK made me enjoy DH Ready Rubbed more, because I now taste the dark fired notes in it.

Give me your favorite fire cured blends and any thoughts on the genre.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
First, what leaf is usually used for fire curing? Is it burley? Does it vary?

I recently got a bulk OZ of HH Old Dark Fired and I am burning through it quickly. Love it. I got a few non-aro samples to learn more about flavors. The DFK made me enjoy DH Ready Rubbed more, because I now taste the dark fired notes in it.

Give me your favorite fire cured blends and any thoughts on the genre.
The market class for tobacco which is fire cured is actually called fire cured. It's a thing.

But, I think you are actually asking what fire cured which isn't fire cured is like. It's pretty much something like a dark air cured or a burley.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
The DFK made me enjoy DH Ready Rubbed more, because I now taste the dark fired notes in it.

I find it amazing how we shed new light on things by virtue of new experiences. Tasting a single component clearly can unlock a whole library of blends for you; and the same is true of many things in life. We might understand a person we 'know' in a new way based on an experience we have many years down the road.

It's also incredible to realize the many winding and improbable pathways that being us to these new understandings. So many doorways!

I also was lucky to recently experience HH Old Dark Fired, and it's now a big favorite of mine... though 'favorite' understates how moved I am when I smoke the blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least dark fired expanded the condiment horizons a little beyond Latakia and Perique. Don't get me wrong, I love Lat and Per, but not as a default condiment in everything non-aromatic and a few of those too. I always assumed that dark fired started with burley, but I was guessing. Dark fired gives a nice basso note to most blends it meets.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Tasting a single component clearly can unlock a whole library of blends for you.

I also was lucky to recently experience HH Old Dark Fired, and it's now a big favorite of mine... though 'favorite' understates how moved I am when I smoke the blend.

That's a very accurate way of putting it, ODF clued me onto DFK, and I can't think of a blend with it that I didn't like.

Funnily enough though, my expectations vs taste of ODF clashed hard the first time I smoked it and I felt almost cheated. Yet I kept smoking it and before I knew it the tin was over and I had 1kg on order. I've reviewed ODF here.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find dark fired to be so tasty and not just the smoky fired bits. There is a strange kind of sweetness to it that I can't really describe or even categorically state isn't just how it interacts with sweet elements in other leaf. But it's so unique no matter how it comes about. It's funny it almost seems like it should be really straightforward and completely dominating to a blend but it just isn't.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Intrigued, here. Never had any, but not adverse to trying some. What's good for a beginner, DF-virgin who is really no friend to nic buzzes. Me no like a spinning head. Strong and bold ain't my thing either. So be gentle with the rec's.

Smoke it straight, or, should my first try be in a mix?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? School me.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Intrigued, here. Never had any, but not adverse to trying some. What's good for a beginner, DF-virgin who is really no friend to nic buzzes. Me no like a spinning head. Strong and bold ain't my thing either. So be gentle with the rec's.

Most DFK blends are on the stronger side nic-wise.
MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired is a great blend where the DFK is tamed a bit by the hot pressing. It’s probably a good one for dipping your toe into the water. That said, it changes the flavor of it as well, kind of like a “semi-Cavendished” version of DFK. It tastes great, but to my palate, is quite unique.

C&D Bluegrass is a favorite of mine. It has Virginia and Perique at play, too. Might be a head-spinner for the nic-averse.

C&D Sansepolcro has Italian dark fired, and is a great semi-sweet blend with a dry finish. Might be on the stronger side.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky doesn't really live up to its name. Rather sweet and spicy, not very strong.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I just smoked StBernard Flake (standard Virginia/Perique) mixed with Motzek Tom's Dark Twist (a 1:1 DFK/Perique brute). It was among the tastiest smokes I've had in a while, strangely enough it tasted very sweet (the twist is not sweet at all on its own), took the edge off, and calmed down the enormous strength of the twist.

I think DFK synergises beautifully with Virginia especially.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have a tin of ODF somewhere. I’m gonna dig it out. Has to be 4 years since I’ve smoked it. I did enjoy it. Funny, I can even remember where I smoked it last, backside of Phila Int Airport. So, by definition, it’s a memorable Smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.