PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
The first Kentucky blend I had was the Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed and I liked it. It was just an occasional thing as a change of pace. Recently I have discovered, and have been enjoying, Cowboy Coffee from The Country Squire. I can really taste the Kentucky component in the blend and it has renewed my interest in Dark Fired Kentucky.

I suppose I'm looking for two types of recommendations. First, Kentucky-forward blends, ala ODF; and second, blends where Kentucky is a valuable or noticeable component, but not necessarily in the front seat...so to speak.

So, what are your favorite Dark Fired Kentucky blends?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you like ODF, you should give a try the following blends.
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Solani 660 Silver Flake
Esoterica Stonehaven, if you can find any it is a bitch to find but worth the chase in my opinion.
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro it has a bit of perigue but I think it adds to the Kentucky
GL Pease Navigator..... it needs some age but really gets good.
I am forgetting a bunch more but the other guys will chip in with more choices.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Mac Baren Bold Kentucky. I actually prefer it more than ODF as it has a lot more slap n tickle, but I cellar both.

Rattray's Hal o the Wynd is a masterful use of the stuff, if you want some VaPer with your ODF. I smoke this regularly and put away bags and bags of it.

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is another favorite, but for me starts to get into aromatic territory to me as I don't usually smoke aromatic mixtures. It is currently out of production, but seems to waffle back and forth from this status. Peter Heinrich Dark Strong Flake is nearly identical, though they do show some differences when compared side by side.

pip01

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 3, 2018
NJ
My go to dark fired blends are ODF, Peterson Irish Flake and Dark Birds Eye. I like them all equally and each is slightly different.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think that one got discontinued.
I heard that they only sell it Europe maybe Synjeco has it. It had gone away before this and I was stuck with only some really old 100 gram tins. When all of a sudden in 2015 I think it came back on the US market.. I love the stuff and was not about to not buy enough. I bought 100 tins in one shot and at 7.00 a tin, it was a bargain and I felt I had enough to carry me for a while. I still keep an eye out for the older tall boys but last one I saw the price was too high.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Best I’ve had, period, was from Whole Leaf. I’d say MacBaren Old Dark Fired as a runner-up.

For blends that aren’t quite as dark fired Kentucky-forward, but are great blends, I’d say:

C&D Bluegrass
C&D Visions of Celephais (heavy topping)
C&D Dreams of Kadath (lightly topped)
St Bruno Ready Rubbed (lightly topped)
Newminster #403

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
ODF in flake form is far better than the ready rubbed version in my opinion, more woody, sweeter.
HH Bold Kentucky was in my opinion inferior to HH ODF, too much DFK in fact.
Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark is similar to HH Bold Kentucky, but more mature, smoother, and equally strong.
G&H Dark Bird's Eye is quite monochromatic, strong, and full of DFK, for me it's better to use when I want to add some DFK to another blend.
Motzek Tom's Dark Twist is fairly obscure as it's handmade in one shop in Germany, 1:1 DFK/Perique rope, insanely strong and equally delicious.

Generally I find I gravitate to VaPers with a strong Kentucky component, Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd tastes great but not really that strong (for me), I've never tried Doblone D'Oro as it's not sold in Europe (and neither is MacBaren's Royal Twist which I'd be all over if it was available here).

• Love
Reactions: Kal and Ahi Ka

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Wow, so many great recommendations! Thank you!

I should maybe add or qualify that I think it’s the rich tangy bbq now in the DFK that I’m enjoying. I’m not specifically looking for a nicotine wallop. I’m a bit of a lightweight in that department actually.

Reactions: Osirus and Kal
Best I’ve had, period, was from Whole Leaf. I’d say MacBaren Old Dark Fired as a runner-up.

For blends that aren’t quite as dark fired Kentucky-forward, but are great blends, I’d say:

C&D Bluegrass
C&D Visions of Celephais (heavy topping)
C&D Dreams of Kadath (lightly topped)
St Bruno Ready Rubbed (lightly topped)
Newminster #403
Do you really lile C&D Bluegrass? I wanted to, so much, because of the name. It starts off great, but by mid-bowl it’s so acrid and harsh that it is one of the few blends I can’t finish.

Reactions: pantsBoots

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
For your second category, I'll add another recommendation for Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd. Mac Baren Club Blend also has a secondary but unmistakable DFK presence.