PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Hi, anyone else who likes the typical so-called Danish Semi-Freehands, meaning pipes from the 70s or 80s that were made from pre-drilled ebauchons but then hand-carved and finished?

For me these pipes are the best all-day pipes. Great design, fabulous smokers and really way underpriced at the Estate market (maybe except for Faaborgs, but then I'm not sure if they aren't fully hand made.).

Here are some of my favourites:

IMG_0724.jpeg

From left to right: Svendborg, Faaborg, Bjarne, Jeppesen, Bari, Nørding.

The Faaborg ist the only one paid more than 30 euros for, though I spent some hours restoring. But they are so worth it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two pipes along those lines. One is a Nording Signature bent freehand, a gift from friends, unfinished briar that has colored nicely, with a good deep chamber, and a Thompson Cigar house pipe with plateau on the brim, another bent freehand, that I had refitted with a tortoise shell stem that looks good. It's stamped Made in West Germany.

Some of these pipes were turned out in a hurry during the freehand boom and are nothing to look at. Both of mine are handsome, to me anyway, and real work horse smokers.

Then I have a Johs that is a full-dress Danish smooth stained, with plateau on the brim and shank, and an ample chamber, a gift from wife in 2010.

You have some established brands there. i have a Bari, not a freehand, that is really well made. I think Bari is long discontinued as a Danish brand, but they made great pipes.

Reactions: Duke of Erinmore