PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Dad sat me down with my two brothers, in '76 or '77, and said, "Boys, I'm going to stop smoking because I want to set a better example for you." He stopped that day and never smoked again.

Having started smoking only this year at the age of 57, I had questions for Dad. I asked whether his Primitive Baptist upbringing caused him to believe his habit was sinful, and was surprised to hear him say that the PB's didn't pay particular attention to tobacco or alcohol usage. If you know anything about PB theology, you may understand why I shouldn't have been surprised. But he said he was simply concerned about his health after smoking so many years, and didn't want us to do as he'd done.

I asked, "Well, at what age did you start smoking?"

He said, "I remember that as a little boy I was picking up butts and smoking them."

"But when did you start smoking in earnest?"

He said, "Well, we smoked on the bus, on the way to school."

"You mean elementary school?" I was a bit incredulous.

"Oh sure. I was just a little boy, smoking every day."

Our parents were born into a world so different, it might as well have been another planet.

I wish I could sit and smoke with Dad, as I do with my sons, but I understand his decision so many years ago to put down his pipe. It's a blessing just to have him still on this side of eternity, and to anticipate smoking together on the other.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Dad sat me down with my two brothers, in '76 or '77, and said, "Boys, I'm going to stop smoking because I want to set a better example for you." He stopped that day and never smoked again.

Having started smoking only this year at the age of 57, I had questions for Dad. I asked whether his Primitive Baptist upbringing caused him to believe his habit was sinful, and was surprised to hear him say that the PB's didn't pay particular attention to tobacco or alcohol usage. If you know anything about PB theology, you may understand why I shouldn't have been surprised. But he said he was simply concerned about his health after smoking so many years, and didn't want us to do as he'd done.

I asked, "Well, at what age did you start smoking?"

He said, "I remember that as a little boy I was picking up butts and smoking them."

"But when did you start smoking in earnest?"

He said, "Well, we smoked on the bus, on the way to school."

"You mean elementary school?" I was a bit incredulous.

"Oh sure. I was just a little boy, smoking every day."

Our parents were born into a world so different, it might as well have been another planet.

I wish I could sit and smoke with Dad, as I do with my sons, but I understand his decision so many years ago to put down his pipe. It's a blessing just to have him still on this side of eternity, and to anticipate smoking together on the other.
1070.jpeg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My father quit smoking long before he passed away. He didn't like the fact I smoked, but never brought it up. My kids think smoking is the worst thing one can do to his body. And I do enforce that idea. As much as I love smoking, if I had chance to do it again.. who am I kidding? I'll smoke still the same! Started smoking at 12 in NYC and it's a life long love affair!!!

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Thanks for sharing. My son is 5 and I've been wondering what sort of example I'm setting, and also about my health. I started pipe smoking to quit the cigs, I haven't been been successful yet and it literally eats away at me that i haven't been able to stop them. Damn it's hard for me. So my pipe smoking has been fairly infrequent, mostly on the weekends. I'd like to go only pipes, and at this point I don't think I'd mind if he smoked a pipe. I beleive most is ok in moderation, and if he decides he wants to try it one day I'll pass that idea on to him. It is a wonderful thing, pipe smoking, from the pipes to the complexity of blends. Enjoy it and try not to abuse is what I think.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was so lucky to have my father until I was sixty years old. He died at eighty-nine, licensed to drive without glasses. I was honored to be with him to the end. When I was a tyke with endless questions, he was always happy to answer them all, and then some, internal combustion to family history and beyond. It was an intensive tutorial. He smoked a pipe from age 15 to 65, when he quit cold turkey to take a job at a no-smoking campus.